Hyundai Entourage This minivan boasts of being one of the safest vehicles in its class.

Electronics dim

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Default Electronics dim

Just picked up a 2007.limited
Worked fine for the first month but now the headlights dim and blower slows down every time I slow down .Sometimes I do not even touch the brakes before everything goes dim
Read about changing wire harness in different models and hope you have something a little less expensive.
At this time I have no check engine light .It did come on but went out before I had it checked

Old 10-16-2019, 01:55 PM

A poor connection starting at the battery could do this, If the vehicle has no problem what so ever with starting, the problem could be confined to power supplied to the inside electrical supply.
What you might consider would be to have the entire electrical system checked , starting with the battery then the charging system. That would cover approx 50 % of the elec syst..
If they are found to be good and working properly , then the checks would be confined to the ground connections and power to the interior.of the vehicle. That could involve voltage drop testing because interior connections wll look OK, but can still be with corrosion problems.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:11 PM

I voltage checked the battery and alternator ,12.8 and 14.17 .
Cleaned connections at battery and located a rusty ground with multiple wires attached .
Little hard to get at but that will be my next project

Old 10-17-2019, 02:21 PM

The above numbers you supplied look good. BUT do we know how they are under load and that is what counts.
When voltage drop testing the circuit/connections must be "under load actually during operating conditions"
Static voltage testing , not under load or working provides false info.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:40 PM

YUP
I will have to get a helper to turn things on/off and attempt to narrow the search ..
Right now I am considering a used ECM to see what happens ..
It started acting up earlier but after jump starting my MH it got a lot worse .
Lord knows what kind of damage You can do to all those circuits putting that kind of a load on them

Old 10-18-2019, 09:09 AM

I started turning things on and off and found that the charging voltage would drop to under 13 volts and battery would drop below 12 volts with everything turned on and engine off.
The drain on the battery was not to surprising but the drain with the engine running was .
I will check it again tonight to double check before replacing the alternator .

Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 AM

First I would like to say I think I panicked a bit because I only had this a moth and it broke down already .
After doing a bunch of load tests (including some I found to check the ECU ) I have decided to replace the alternator .
It appears very weak and can not recover when it drops a little so the voltage keeps getting lower .
I have also had a leaky rack and pinion but a quart of stop leak seems to have cured that .
I do like this van and the gas mileage is not to bad (average about 18 mpg ) . I just hope it does not turn into a money pit .
Thank you
Bill

Old 10-20-2019, 05:26 PM

I can understand your frustration, however, it is an 07 and you can expect some things to be worn or have problems, it is after all not a brand new vehicle.
Once you take care of all the "bugs" it should provide good service.

You know the stop leak is just a band aid and if it holds up ,great, but as you already know , it will crap out when you least can handle it .
If you take care of the bugs one at a time, it will be more convenient and less headache. That is probably why it was for sale.
Certain things are normal wear items and unfortunately don't last forever.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:46 PM

I am hoping the steering will hold up until spring when I don't have to freeze to change it.I changed one some years back and recall it not being real hard but my joints are a lot less friendly now
I just paid off a bunch of bills and had enough left over to buy this but now I will be cash poor for a couple of months .
I found a good price on a reman alternator but the $80 core will leave me tight until I get it back.
I hope the alt takes care of my problems .I had it on the interstate today and had no problems until I slowed down in town again so that says I am on the right track.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:31 AM

What a pain
While waiting for a new alternator the van decided it did not want to start.
Tried to jump it with no luck ..grabbed a couple wrenches and started rechecking grounds again 4 of the previously tightened straps were loose again ,including the battery ,and I found a couple more .
I am beginning to think the grounding of the van truly sucks . before I install the new alternator I think I will go over as many connections as I can find and check them all.
I still may wind up replacing the alt because I still think it is very weak and not giving me the 130 amps it should.
I wonder if someone did some work on this and just plain didn't tighten anything up .
If I sound a little frustrated it is because I am..

Quick Reply: Electronics dim