Hyundai Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HF? Ask! Have a suggestion to better HF? Tell us here..

Hyundai Elantra shaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 09:07 PM
Default Hyundai Elantra shaking

Hello,
I recently got an 2018 Hyundai Elantra SEL. It is a FWD and the problem is when I try to start in the beginning of the day and go on highway it starts shaking when I hit 70kmph and shakes a lot when I reach 100kmph and more when I brake with lot of sound. It will be like that till I drive almost 50-60kms and after that when I stop it and turn off the engine for 10-15minutes and then continue driving on highway the shaking stops when I hit 100 or 120kmph also but it will be still there when I apply brakes. Can anyone tell me what am I supposed to. I have new tires pirelli all season and webt to oil change but nothing works!!! It’s disgusting to ride that. Can anyone help me please and thanks in advance.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:30 AM

Like everything there are some basic things that need to be checked .
Before we do this , was this problem present before the new tires were installed?

Old 06-08-2021, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Like everything there are some basic things that need to be checked .
Before we do this , was this problem present before the new tires were installed?
Yes before I had winter tires. When the problem was started I took them to the hyundai service and they said the tires are heavy so may be that’s the issue. So I got new tires installed pirelli all season in March but the problem still exists

Old 06-08-2021, 10:36 AM

Can we ask,
when you feel the shaking,
Do you feel it in the steering wheel also,
Do you feel it in the seat?
There are different moving parts and we try to narrow down an area and then concentrate on all moving parts there and even some that are not supposed to move.
Usually , when you have new tires installed , if they see something worn or wrong they let you know. Did you get any kind of remarks involving the suspension, steering, drive train ? Do you know if the tires were speed balanced?
It is so important to supply any and all info from any shop so we have some idea of what might been changed, altered or otherwise.
There are only so many things that can be involved and if you don't tell us everything that was done, that is not very helpful.

Some things may not seem important or relevant, but everything fits someplace into the full picture, thank you.

Last edited by hanky; 06-08-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:50 AM

First of all I am open to any questions. My car is at 118000kms. So the thing is when I start driving in the beginning of the day hits 65-70kmph it starts shaking . The shaking I can feel in entire car on steering and when hit the brakes on the the brakes pedal, on the acceleration pedal, also I can see vibration in my rear mirror that car is vibrating.
yes when my new tires are installed it was balanced, torque balanced at Costco. There was no remarks on the car when oil change and brake pads cleaning is done at hyundai. They just said the problem is with winter tires at that time, that they are so heavy but not torn or wrong with them. So I changed them to new all season. At costco they haven’t even mentioned there is problem with I also don’t have any lights on in my dashboard to check if there is any problem. I can feel lot of shaking on my brake pedal when I hit my brakes.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:15 AM

Without actually checking the vehicle myself, it would not be prudent to offer any suggestions. The problem is we are attempting to draw a conclusion based on inadequate info. That is not fair to you.
If you can feel the vibration/shaking in the steering wheel, that does tell us the problem is coming from the front of the vehicle.
Do you recall if you might have hit a curb or other stationary object when parking your vehicle? Because there so many moving parts when the vehicle is moving and some of these parts are connected when making a brake application. All this has to be inspected and checked for wear and damage which is impossible to do over the net.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:26 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. But I didn’t hit curb or any other object while parking or while taking turns, the car didn’t even have a scratch.I drive very carefully. I stay in Ottawa,ON,Canada. So if there is any trusted service or any trustworthy dealer that can take a look at my car is so helpful. Can you please suggest anybody if you know to take a look at my car. I am ready to take my car to anyone.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:28 PM

I can only bring up "What is supposed to be done", but not what some shops do.

Any good alignment shop , before measuring anything is supposed to check the air in the tires before attempting any alignment procedure. If tires are worn badly , an alignment should not be attempted until faults are found and corrected which includes installing new tires if needed. If you can why not inquire from friends where they go or don't go, hopefully you will find a reputable shop.
Just like other trades/professions there are some parts stores that might express some hesitancy of recommending places, but some become known for doing good work and decent prices. All you can do is ask.