Hyundai Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HF? Ask! Have a suggestion to better HF? Tell us here..

I need a mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 09:37 PM
Default I need a mechanic

Is there anyone in the Ocean county area that can work on a 2001 Hyundai sonata GLS my car's been sitting for 6 months have spent over $2,000 fixing it still doesn't run can you please help

Old 12-06-2021, 06:19 AM

Who has been doing the work on your vehicle?

If you choose,
What kind of problem does the vehicle have ? No start, just what does it do? Attempts to start , just will not start running, just clicks, ? As you can see there are many things that could be involved and every bit of info is important to help come up with a possible cause or causes.
What has been done so far?
The more details you can provide might help to offer some steps to get it going

Old 12-11-2021, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dmtaver
Is there anyone in the Ocean county area that can work on a 2001 Hyundai sonata GLS my car's been sitting for 6 months have spent over $2,000 fixing it still doesn't run can you please help
. The rack and pinion was replaced then it wasn't going anywhere . I bought and replaced the starter and battery .

Old 12-12-2021, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the small piece of info.

What we need to know ,

Who did the work?
why?
So we can ask if they rechecked their work.
Usually if it ran before the rack was replaced , it should run after the job is completed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,UNLESS,,,,,,,,,,,,,they left a wire off somewhere, pinched a wire on installation OR just disturbed something that the system requires for the vehicle to start.
Considering the vehicle is with you , we might assume (carefully) you did the work. Is this correct, don't be bashful it can happen to anybody.

The starter replacement , what was the reason for that? If attempting to start it long enough , could have destroyed the starter and ran down the battery.Is this what happened?

Getting back to who did the job and ,,,,IF,,, they rechecked their work, where do we stand here?

Old 12-12-2021, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Who has been doing the work on your vehicle?

If you choose,
What kind of problem does the vehicle have ? No start, just what does it do? Attempts to start , just will not start running, just clicks, ? As you can see there are many things that could be involved and every bit of info is important to help come up with a possible cause or causes.
What has been done so far?
The more details you can provide might help to offer some steps to get it going
I hear a slight clicking and I did put a battery in and starter because someone said it could be that counting the age of the car . I drove it home from the shop after the rack and pinion was installed . Now it has been sitting for months .

Old 12-13-2021, 07:05 AM

So we get the full picture.

It did start and run after the steering rack was replaced and you were able to drive it home without incident.
Is this correct ?

If the battery is near fully charged, that would eliminate the battery.
What were the circumstances that led to replacing the starter?
Are we sure the wire connections went to the right place at the time the starter was installed?
What result did you get after the starter was replaced and you attempted to start the engine?
The individual steps are important and try not to leave anything out. Many times a small thing can disable a system and without knowing every detail , the only thing we can do is retrace all these steps to hopefully find the problem.

If we were there physically , we would do exactly the same thing and look at and check all the things we are asking questions about.

Old 12-16-2021, 03:48 PM
Default To answer your question

So we get the full picture.
It did start and run after the steering rack was replaced and you were able to drive it home without incident.
Is this correct ?

If the battery is near fully charged, that would eliminate the battery.
What were the circumstances that led to replacing the starter?
Are we sure the wire connections went to the right place at the time the starter was installed?
What result did you get after the starter was replaced and you attempted to start the engine?
The individual steps are important and try not to leave anything out. Many times a small thing can disable a system and without knowing every detail , the only thing we can do is retrace all these steps to hopefully find the problem.

If we were there physically , we would do exactly the same thing and look at and check all the things we are asking questions about.
I can check the starter...but I wear bi-focals and I am not well I wanted a mechanic . I really don't want to work on my car again I have a bad back am 58 years old had a brain tumor removed if you want to help come look at it for me I replaced the starter becouse my car is old and I thought that might be it becouse I had already replaced the battery . I don't know if the wires were hooked up right becouse someone else helped me
after they saw me struggling for 2 hours trying to work on my car ...I am not a mechanic..I use to help my dad out when I was younger that is the extent of my knowledge on cars and I'm female not that into replanting cars I did home health care for a living I'm sorry If I can't get my point across to you . I'm doing the best I can

Old 12-16-2021, 05:44 PM

You are doing just fine.
Now I have some idea of what to suggest.
Believe me , I have some idea of where you are coming from.

Under the circumstances I would strongly suggest that you refrain from attempting to do any further automotive work.
It is difficult enough for a young person to repair some of these vehicles and as far as someone that is trying to work with one hand tied behind their back, this is not for you.
Can you have the person that assisted you with the starter installation participate in this discussion?
I should be able to offer some things to check just by looking at the wire connections. Can we do this?
That is why we are here , to offer some guidance , and just like you , we try to do the best we can too. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:06 PM

You are doing just fine.

Under the circumstances I would strongly suggest that you refrain from attempting to do any further automotive work.
It is difficult enough for a young person to repair some of these vehicles and as far as someone that is trying to work with one hand tied behind their back, this is not for you.
Can you have the person that assisted you with the starter installation participate in this discussion?
I should be able to offer some things to check just by looking at the wire connections. Can we do this?
That is why we are here , to offer some guidance , and just like you , we try to do the best we can too. Thanks.
Well Thank you for trying and no ..the person that helped was down here in the shore area for the summer.. I didn't get their contact number ..sorry I will still check the wires out anyway.
Then go from there. I just can't keep walking and riding my bicycle to the store and I can't get to the doctor I need this done before it get any colder. Thank you for your time I'll post to you if that works if that's ok .😊

Old 12-16-2021, 06:07 PM

You are doing just fine.

Well Thank you for trying and no ..the person that helped was down here in the shore area for the summer.. I didn't get their contact number ..sorry I will still check the wires out anyway.
Then go from there. I just can't keep walking and riding my bicycle to the store and I can't get to the doctor I need this done before it get any colder. Thank you for your time I'll post to you if that works if that's ok .😊

Quick Reply: I need a mechanic