Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

04 Santa Fe GLS 2.7 Won't Start and I'm Stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 02:20 PM
Default 04 Santa Fe GLS 2.7 Won't Start and I'm Stumped!

I purchased it less than 6 months ago. I don't have any records of any maintenance that had been done. It has roughly 168,000 mi on it. I have been replacing all the normal maintenance wear and tear type of things one by one as I could afford it. It has a brand new battery, starter, alternator, coil packs and spark plugs. I had been noticing almost like a burning rubber smell periodically but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Also, the serpentine belt was squealing and I replaced it and it continued to squeal. I checked all of the pulleys and the tensioner there was nothing loose. Other than that the vehicle was running amazing. I was on the way to the store going about 50 mph and all of a sudden the truck bogged down. I could barely to get it to go over 30 mph and when I got to the store the motor was shaking and knocking. I was able to get back home with it and ran the codes. It came back saying bad camshaft position sensor. I replaced the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. Prior to replacing both of those the truck would still start now it will not. I've checked all of the spark plugs and it's getting spark. It also smells like the motor may be flooded with fuel. I'm concerned at this point if I may have gotten a bad sensor, if the sensor may have been put in incorrectly or if it's something else entirely. Could it possibly be the camshaft and lifters? And I haven't been able to replace the timing belt yet so that is my biggest fear...did the timing belt break. Can anybody give me an idea of what it actually sounds like as far as the motor running and and just the symptoms of the belt being broken? And if anybody has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it because I'm baffled. Thank you for any help y'all can give.

Old 12-18-2021, 07:26 PM

There is no short cut.
You need to know where you stand and might as well start with verifying the timing belt is OK or not. If it jumped some teeth , it has to be replaced.

It is an interference engine which means if the timing belt breaks or allows teeth to get ripped off some of the valves are held open and get bent by the piston coming up to the top of it's travel.
Inspection of the belt will help clarify some of this.
Worst case, valves are bent, requires head to be removed and either new valves put in and hopefully no other damage, OR exchange head installed. This can present other problems if the rest of the engine is tired .
Before going any further, belt condition has to be verified.and go from there.
With that many miles , it will be a toss up.as to which path to follow.
It is not an impossible situation, but will end up costing a few $$$.to straighten out.. Always get at least 3 estimates before throwing in the towel.

Last edited by hanky; 12-18-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:34 PM

Thank you so much for your advice. I literally just replaced my timing belt and water pump on my Acura so I was trying to hold off a little bit but I guess at this point I have to or at least see what the situation looks like. Now, if all is well with the timing belt I'm still going to replace it but where do I go from there because like I said the codes were saying that it was the camshaft position sensor. The truck was starting but running really bad prior to replacing the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. After installing both of them the truck will no longer start it tries to but it won't turn over. Could it be something as simple as a bad sensor or not being inserted correctly? If that's not the issue then could it possibly be the camshaft and lifters? Thank you again.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:35 AM

I wouldn't go overboard on camshaft etc. until all the other possibilities are checked out.

If belt movement is involved , one way to verify if any valve damage, AFTER NEW BELT IS INSTALLED AND TIMED, COMPRESSION TEST WOULD REVEAL IF ANY OTHER ENGINE DAMAGE IS PRESENT.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
I wouldn't go overboard on camshaft etc. until all the other possibilities are checked out.

If belt movement is involved , one way to verify if any valve damage, AFTER NEW BELT IS INSTALLED AND TIMED, COMPRESSION TEST WOULD REVEAL IF ANY OTHER ENGINE DAMAGE IS PRESENT.
Okay, thank you sir. I'm going to have somebody look at it tomorrow and once I figure out what's going on with the timing belt I'll go from there thank you so much for your help.

Old 12-19-2021, 11:07 AM

If you would, please get back to us with what was found and the correction., there may be folks with a similar problem that could benefit from your experience.,thank you.

Old 12-19-2021, 02:27 PM

I surely will. Depending on my find I may need further help from you guys. I will post as much information as I can about what I find out to hopefully be able to help the next person. Thank you again for all your help.