Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

04 santa fe runs like crap,eats fuel -no codes..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Default 04 santa fe runs poorly

Ok so I found the fuel filter . It's part of the fuel pump assembly. It's a blackhousing that the electric pump motor is inseted into. Any way I replaced it and the vehicle still runs like a dog. No power on take off and poor accelleration if you are going and need to go faster.. I guess my nest step is to do a fuel pressure check and check the pressure regulator. I will need an adaptor and a special gauge to do this. Where can I get thes? Is this what I should be checking next?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rsudano
This vehicle ran great until I had to replace the damper pulley because the outer pulley portion came off of its rubber mounting. It was difficult to remove. It took some prying to get it loose from the lower sprocket that slides onto the front of th crankshaft.
Back to basics...

You say it ran great until you did this???? What's wrong with this picture?

Did you take the timing belt off to replace this "damper pulley"??? Did you check the position of the timing belt sprockets? Did you double check, triple check?

First thing I would do is remove the upper timing belt cover, do a timing belt inspection, and make sure all the sprockets line up correctly. This can be done without too much difficulty or removing the accessory belts or the motor mount.

Sounds like a sprocket is off a couple of teeth.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Default did not remove the belt

I did not need to remove the belt to replace the damper pulley. The dealer replaced the timing belt after I replaced the damper pulley. I'm sure that the dealer would be able to do this correctly.The car was sitting up on ramps for about a week before I did the damper pulley. I replaced the fuel filter today and I cracked open the old one. A bunch of blackish/ brown gas came out. When all of the gas evaporated away from it , there was a brown residue left behind that looks like dried mud. Could this be remnants on the old filter disintegrating or could it actually BE mud? The gas in the tank LOOKED pretty clean.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Blackish brown gas??? No, the filter shouldn't disintegrate. That's the problem. Is your whole fuel system FUBAR?

Pull out a fuel injector and try to clean it. What does that look like?

Did somebody put a load of water in your tank?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Default Fubar

FUBAR? is that an acronym for ? So, the residue thats left behind is probably mud ? I did not pull and injector yet . What am I looking for? More brown residue?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Default I would be angry.

I would bludgeon someone if they put a load of water in my tank for certain.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Banned

FUBAR: A military term for "f**ked up beyond all recognition"

Brown mud in gas: What you get when water is present. Always a bad thing.

Yes, you need to clean the injectors, to say the least.

Normally, especially in older cars, if you live in a cold and wet place, you can get condensation in the gas tank which over years will eventually clog up the filter screen before the fuel pump. Brown gunk forms on the walls of the gas tank, can get loose, and clog up the system.

It's a real big problem with Chrysler minvans. I used to peruse the forums for my '90 Caravan, and constantly found this problem. A lot of times if you get rear-ended, it will break the gunk loose and the car runs REAL bad. That happened to me on my Mitsu Galant (which I loved dearly.)

Haven't seen it much in Hyundais, but I just figured you don't see to many older Hyundais.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Default Pull injector vs. adding cleaner.

Should i pull each injector or just add some cleaner/ also should I replace the fuel filter again in case the new one is already clogged. should i pull the tank and rinse it with fresh gasoline or should i do all of the above?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

Is it like "rusty muck" or is it "candy caramel"? Is it forming hard deposits, almost like a plastic?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

The real answer to your question is "YES". To do this job right, it's a lot of work, and really messy.

Drop the gas tank, get some commercial gas tank cleaner, and make a huge mess. Avoid burning down the town.

Change the fuel filter again, or at least verify that it's clean. You might be able to squirt carb cleaner through it, if it's not funky, and you can blow through it ok.

Fuel lines should be blown out with carb cleaner.

Take off fuel injectors, clean them out with carb cleaner.

Quick Reply: 04 santa fe runs like crap,eats fuel -no codes..