Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2.2 Diesel concerning problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 02:13 PM
Default 2.2 Diesel concerning problem

Hi everyone

I am having a really frustrating problem with my 2007 Santa Fe 2.2 crdi. It overheated and went in for major surgery.

Parts replaced:
Water pump
Cambelt (no problem but was almost due)
Radiator pipes
Thermostat
The Head was sent to engineering and returned fixed
Reconditioned turbo
Heater core (was clogged)
The radiator had a tiny leak which was fixed and pressure tested.
Radiator cap replaced

Now, the problem is that the car still gets hot and has power loss at certain times. It happened twice going up a steep hill with the AC on. The car gives a little shudder and then starts losing power while the temp gauge starts to climb. When checking the engine compartment there is an audible sound of liquid bubbling/boiling but no sign of water leaking anywhere. Took it back to the workshop where a full diagnostic check was done with zero faults. The head test came back as clear and the radiator and reservoir still looked normal. The Mechanic took it out for a 65km drive with AC on and driving highway, up and down hills and could not replicate the problem. I took it back and it did the same thing while going up a hill with aircon on (overheating and power loss) with zero faults and the head test came back clean. The mechanic took it out again yet again he could not replicate the problem. We drove similar routes in similar conditions and driving styles.

We have no idea what could be causing the problem and I am concerned that it will happen when my family is with me and we are in the middle of nowhere..

Old 07-06-2023, 09:08 AM

Just like with a gasoline engine , diesel engines also have certain parameters of operation that can be examined. To do this requires a capable scan tool to obtain that info .
Certain conditions can be examined with a function called freeze frame.where the conditions can be examined at the time the problem appears.

This can require a bit of effort and is up to the tech assigned the problem. The reason we try to duplicate the problem is after the repair/correction is made, we need to be able to verify the problem is corrected , so we know how and when to create it.: