Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2004 Hyundai santa Fe Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Default 2004 Hyundai santa Fe Automatic Transmission

Ok. I am completely in the dark still on this one Is there or is there not a way to change the fluid and filter in these trannys?? I have a filter for it, but it did not come with a gasket. Plus, I have heard one must take th tranny apart to change the filter. Should I just change the fluid or what? How do i go about doing this? I do not even see a drain plug, but that does not mean it doesn't have one. Is this the norm to just change the oil? At the moment my fluid is gray: not red. And I have 85,000 miles on it thus far. Thanks for any input.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by tommyvegas76
Is there or is there not a way to change the fluid and filter in these trannys??
Yes

I have a filter for it, but it did not come with a gasket.
Where did you get said filter, what does it look like ??

Plus, I have heard one must take th tranny apart to change the filter.
NGT trans (side pan), you have to remove trans to workbench, split cases, and replace internal filter.. in most respects, it is a permanent filter.. we on dealer level is not allowed to seperate cases.

Should I just change the fluid or what?
Simple drain and fill

How do i go about doing this?
Remove drain plug and let it drain

I do not even see a drain plug, but that does not mean it doesn't have one.
Look closer, look at the pic I have posted

Is this the norm to just change the oil?
Yes, that is all we do
Need a long box end wrench in 15/16, or a socket

Older spin on trans filter -

Correct ATF for use in your Hyundai auto transmission --

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Hyundai santa Fe Automatic Transmission-pict0746.jpg   2004 Hyundai santa Fe Automatic Transmission-pict0750.jpg   2004 Hyundai santa Fe Automatic Transmission-pict0599.jpg   2004 Hyundai santa Fe Automatic Transmission-pict0410.jpg  
Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Well thanks. It sounds easy enough to just change the fluid then, but I don't feel as if it's doing the job completely. However, it is what it is. I appreciate the info.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 AM

Cool very helpful pictures sbr711! Now i know where to find it.
The automatic transmission filter just sits on top of the transmission. look under the hood on drivers side it screws right on top of the transmission. It looks like an engine oil filter.

Last edited by hallpearl; 01-27-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:05 PM

OK I just did the dirty deed. First of all it is not a one hour job. Just think about it; you need to drive around before starting the job and you need to drive around after to check the level. First timers plan 2 to 3 hours.

My 12mm skid pan bolts squeeked the whole way out. I put antiseeze on them so they should come out much easier the next time.

With the skid pan off I was able to get my standard 24 mm craftman box on the drain plug. It was a wee bit crooked but came off much easier than the skid pan bolts. The magnet on the end was quite dirty so I go that cleaned up prior to closing it up again

Draining was easy. I drove around for about 10 mins and the oil came out luke warm. I made up a make shift measure can and from what I can figure I managed to drain just over 4.5 liters from the transmission.

When I pulled the dipstick is was covered with all type of dirt around the top rubber section. I did not want this to fall down into my transmission so cleaning this took some time.

I added 4.25 liters. I did not want to get caught having to vacuum this stuff out. They don't give this stuff away in Canada. I paid $130 CAD for 10 quarts. I was able to get Diamond SP III from a Mitsubishi dealer. With the dip-stick hole being quite low I took an old plastic vodka bottle cut off the bottom and used this as a large funnel to direct the oil into the small funnel above the dip stick hole.

Once the car was warmed up the oil was well up in the hot part of the dip stick. I will do the second part of the fluch next week-end. It should go a little faster this time. I want to say thank you to the previous posters. Your posts gave me the confidence to take a go at it.

Cheers

Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Sounds like it worked out okay for you. I have a five gallon bucket (Home Depot) in which I marked along the side in 1 qt increments so that I know exactly how much fluid came out of whatever I'm draining so that I can put that much back, particularly the ATF. I usually do mine when I'm doing an oil change seeing I'm already under there with the skid plate removed.

John

Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 AM

Wee bit confused why do you take off your skid plate for an oil change? Obviously not something I have been doing from my thread above. As far as I can tell this just exposes your fore arm to the exhaust manifold. If there is a good reason for this I would love to know.

cheers

Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 AM

What engine do you have? I have the 2.7L V6 and the filter is down below, so removing the skid plate/splash shield is the way I access it.

John

Old 06-22-2011, 05:09 AM

I have a 2005 V6 2.7 my skid plate has a small door for accessing the filter in it. The rest of the skid plate stays in place

Old 08-30-2011, 01:54 PM

Should start a new discussion thread for advice on flushing the power steering unit. Hyundai PSF-3 power steering fluid is the same thing as Dexron II ATF, which you can get at Walmart.