Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2005 Santa Fe 2.7L GLS V6 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Unhappy 2005 Santa Fe 2.7L GLS V6 4WD

I am pretty sure this question has been asked before, but I was not able to trace the specifics of the answer to the model I have above. Still confused

I bought a used 2005 Santa Fe, GLS, 2.7L V6, 4WD, Auto transmission bought in Canada. The "manual" says the 4WD warning light (if installed) should come on for a few seconds when the ignition switch is moved from OFF to ON.

I am not sure if I the vehicle I bought has:
a) 4wd in the first place or
b) if the bulb is bad or
c) if the bulb is not meant to go on in a GLS V6 2.7L.

I am wondering if the used car dealer took me for a ride by selling a 2WD instead of 4WD, as all I can see is the 4WD tag attached to the back of the car (I guess anyone can stick this up). Will a technocrat from Hyundai or someone fully aware be able to answer the specifc questions a), b) & c) above

I read similar questions on 4WD doubts asked a few times earlier when I googled for it - but could not find a conclusive answer - that means, it is still out to the open for a clear explanation - Hyundai in my opinion should not leave this doubt open like as even their manual is not specific or informative enough !!

Highly appreciate your answers please !!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

If I'm not mistaken, all 2005 Sante Fe's (at least in the US) were full time 4WD (technically AWD). You can check youself by looking for a driveshaft that goes from the front of the car to the rear and then half-shafts out to both rear wheels.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 PM

The 2005 U.S. owners manual list some specifications for both 2WD and 4WD types, so it is possible you could have a 2WD. Other than the mechanics under the car, the only outward difference is the tag on the back and the 4WD warning light on the dash. Crawl around the back end as NovaResource suggests.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks to you both. It is exactly as Novaresource says. Now atleast I am breathing easy that it is a 4WD or AWD whichever represents it correctly.

But still the warning light which as per the manual is supposed to light up briefly while turning the switch to ON position does not come up. All other lights on the dash board panel come up during the initial check except for this - which makes me wonder that this warning feature does not exist for a 2.7L V6 GLS - am I guessing it right.

It seems too trivial a posibility that this light bulb alone is toast !!