Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

2015 Santa Fe Sport Codes and Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Default 2015 Santa Fe Sport Codes and Limp Mode

Hey guys and gals. Looking for a little help. I am hoping someone has experienced this before. A little background. We bought our first Hyundai a year and a half ago. It is a used Santa Fe Sport 2.4. It now has 65k miles. Last night, my wife was driving us to town. We were experiencing very heavy rain and the roads were holding a lot of water. Not enough to be dangerous, but there were several spots we had to slow down and creep through. Maybe six inches or so deep. Anyways, her check engine light came on. We went on to town, which is about 20 miles away. Car drove fine. On the way back home, the car lost all power about a mile from home. It idled fine, but we could only go about 10 MPH. If I tried to accelerate, it ran rough and would not take any throttle. When we got home, I turned it off. When I restarted it, everything was normal. I assume this is some kind of limp mode. I scanned the car and got P0223 which is throttle or pedal position sensor. Also got P2118 and P2101 which are Throttle Actuator Control Motor. I cleared the codes and she drove it to work today. About 20 miles or so. She said it ran fine. No check engine light. Last night I looked it over pretty well. No obvious chafed wires or anything. It was pretty wet from all of the water. Is it possible that all the water caused this? Has anyone experienced this before? It seems to be running fine now, but it is my wife’s ride and I want to know that I can trust it. Also, does restarting the vehicle reset the “limp mode” in case it happens again? I don’t mind replacing the Throttle Actuator Control Motor and/or throttle position sensor if need be. But I hate to replace them if it was just the water and/or a one time occurrence. Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:22 AM

In several places I have read that washing the motor is a bad thing as water gets into sensors and causes problems, likely water caused your issue, there may be no permanent problems though, I would wait and see

Old 06-23-2020, 07:41 AM

It has been more than two years since this thread was started
No update.
Am guessing there is no more problem

Old 06-23-2020, 07:54 AM

OOps... I was board, and didn't notice the date. There is so little activity on this board, the thread was not very far down.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:13 AM

Welcome to the club, we've all done that at one time or another !

Old 03-02-2021, 05:24 PM
Default wet sensors sometimes need cleaned up a bit

I have had to have my acceleratir sensor cleaned up good when it got muddy after some other repairs I couldnt get gas pedal to work but once my mechanic took a look it was coated in a thin layer of a muddy grey dried dirt Once he cleaned all that off and put it back it was just fine again also if I accidently spill any fluids down the center console my automatic transmission does t shift right and i have to use manual over ride until it dries out usually a few hours to a day and then its perfectly fine again . However after some major repairs and letying my car sit about 6 months now my error code of p0720 says the reason I am now in TRUE LIMP MODE unable to shift from 1st to 2nd or it skips 2nd completely after i get a loud JERKING CLUNK that ferls like im being rear ended and tgen skips 2nd and gets stuck in 3rd and stays that way until i shut it off and then does this each time i tried driving it . I have been replacing alot of sensors like crank shaft and acceleration sensor a couple 02 sensors and know rodents chew on them causing damage to computer too so check for possible exposed damaged wires and dont let them short out or get wet by keeping them protected with waterproof tape or protective substance . On my car i dont have a mud guard and need to get better protection for my cars belly to prevent water and rodents from doing serioys damage

Last edited by Jenai Herod; 03-02-2021 at 05:27 PM.