Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

brown coolant 2002 santa fe 2.7L

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Default brown coolant 2002 santa fe 2.7L

After further investigation , I discovered at least 6 different colors of coolant , green,blue,red, yellow, purple,and orange. I really think this vehicle is long overdo for all servicing. Thanks for the input about oil in coolant-coolant in oil ,I don't think thats the problem. Engine oil is stable.I plan on changing again very soon (at 2K MILES). I tend to agree that someone mixed colors of anti-freeze-and along with age it simply looks bad. Now the big question, what does the factory recomend for anti-freeze and how much? I didn't get an owners manual and it's pain in the butt . Has anyone tried that Prestone splice into the heater hose flush kit? Once again thanks !

Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Default RE: brown coolant 2002 santa fe 2.7L

[sm=oopssign.gif]I didn't mean to start a new thread. I use computer power like my own brain (about 10%).

Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 PM

what does the factory recomend for anti-freeze and how much?
Factory specs call for 50% solution of a ethylene glycol based antifreeze compatable with aluminum. Nothing more specific than that. Most universal green coolants should work fine, just make sure you read the label for the aluminum protection. Capacity of the cooling system is rated at 7.4 US quarts. One US gallon of antifreeze will give you a 54% solution, which will work just dandy.

Has anyone tried that Prestone splice into the heater hose flush kit?
Yes, I used them quite a bit on cars and farm trucks while growing up. They do flush the system out, but they generate a large volume of diluted antifreeze that's nearly impossible to contain. I haven't seen them in stores for some time and thought their use had become illegal since used antifreeze is now considered a toxic waste. You can't just simply pour the stuff down a drain or on the ground. Unless you are prepared to store and eventually deliver your old antifreeze to a recycling or disposal center that will take it, I suggest you find a dealership or independent mechanic to flush and refill the system and avoid those hassles.

Also, please be aware that ethylene glycol based antifreeze is extremely toxic to pets and young children that can be attracted to the sweet aroma and taste. If you do drain and store your old antifreeze, make sure it is stored out of reach in a safe place. Sorry that I preach at times.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:12 AM

Thanks ken99 ,I forgot about pets being attracted to anti-freeze(we have 5 dogs and 3 cats)- just trying to save a few $$ for my oil addiction.