Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

BROWN engine coolant 2002 santa fe 2.7L

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Default BROWN engine coolant 2002 santa fe 2.7L

I sure don't like the look of it. Does anyone manufacture colors other than green? It looks like a system flush is the right thing to do. Any DIY tips? THANKS

Old 03-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: BROWN engine coolant 2002 santa fe 2.7L

I see in a different thread you a low oil level. I'm wondering if you have an internal engine problem allowing some of the oil into the coolant. That would explain both the brown coolant and the low oil level. Not good news. Sorry.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:55 AM

I can't rule out internal problems, however this car was bought at an auction (I call them orphans) and I don't have a clue about the service record .The oil was nasty for sure. I feel it needs complete servicing- at least I'll have a baseline and can monitor any changes. I am capable of doing 'shadetree' wrenching- but i'm careful not to get in over my head. Oil may be contaminating the coolant,but doesn't explain why the level never reaches the F mark. Coolant level is not rising. Only had it for 1 week ,runs good-everything works and put on 900miles.THANKS

Old 03-27-2008, 10:43 AM

Discolored coolant could be a couple of items besides oil. Normal corrosion and wear, particularly rubber sloughing off the inside of old hoses will darken coolant quite quickly. You asked about different coolant colors. There are or were certain coolants colored orange for use in GM vehiclesthat date back 7 or 8 years. I think GM said the special coolants were for aluminum head and/or all aluminum engines (the Vortex V8's and ECHO 4 cylinder) they were switching too. I disavowed buying another GM product 20 years ago, so I haven't kept up with the use of that coolant product. I do remember a person was advised not to mix the types, mostly because of the nasty color that was created and GM said green coolant negated the anti-corrosion properties of the orange coolant. Someone may have topped off the Santa Fe withone of these products. A proper flushing should correct the situation regardless of the cause.

Oil in the coolant? If so, then you're likely getting coolant in the oil. From the other thread, I see you've changed your oil. If the oil is staying fairly clear, not rapidly developing a milky appearance, then I doubt you are getting any exchange between the coolant and oil systems. If it has turned a milky color and if you see gases bubbling up through the coolant resevior, then you may have a head gasket issue.

Oil leaks? Lot's of places for that to happen, but I would inspect the engine pan for a leaking gasket and both ends of the engine for crankshaft seal leaks. A front seal leak is usually quite obvious. The back seal sometimes isn't so obvious and you may have to remove the bottom shield that cover the flex plate/torque converter to see if oil is leaking and being slung around the inside of the bell housing.