Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Concern about open space/hole in fenders of 2022 Santa Fe Calligraphy

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 05:53 PM
Default Concern about open space/hole in fenders of 2022 Santa Fe Calligraphy

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. Thank you (in advance) for reading my message here. I am the owner of new 2022 #Hyundai #SantaFe #SUV. I live in the upper midwest of USA (Fargo, ND area – yes! It is the great White North and its too damn cold right now! Uff da! LOL). In this area of the country, the state and local highway departments use salt and other de-licing agents to help with snow-packed and ice-covered roads.

I just noticed that my 2022 #Hyundai #SantaFe has large, uncovered open areas in the fender well on both the driver’s and passenger’s sides (see pics above). I am worried that my new vehicle is lacking covers or some other protective closure for these open areas (I have included/attached pictures so that you can see what I am referring to). Note that these large vertical “holes” open areas are located in both fenders do contain plastic coated foam pieces (I presume for noise deadening???). So... my big concern is that water, dirt, and salt and/or sand will build up inside these open holes or space and might start corrosion in the fender (and likely degrade the plastic coating of these foam pieces inside these spaces or holes). Why are there no covers on these holes? Why are these holes/spaces open in the first place? Do I have to worry about corrosion or some other problem with time? Do other owners of other Hyundai Santa Fe’s have these spaces/holes too? Is this a feature (???) on just 2022 Santa Fe? Note that Hyundai / Hyundai USA would not comment on this matter when I contacted them. Any insights or ideas or other information you might provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all for your interest and willingness to respond to my posting here. Best regards and be well and safe!

Old 01-06-2022, 08:59 AM

I don't know the answer to your question, but this is definitely something I would consider.

If I bought a new vehicle that will will be operated in a salty environment, I would try to have somebody do a thorough undercoating spray under the vehicle and in areas where salt dust will accumulate . Even new vehicles will not hold up to salt corrosion, and the undercoating is worth every penny plus it also provides a quieter ride..
There used to be a procedure referred to as Ziebart, but I don't know if they are still around. Some manufacturers have switched to zinc coating parts, but that doesn't do much for frames and suspension components which will rust while you are looking at them. Plastic parts help, but their use is limited.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:16 AM

I just entered the name Ziebart in my search. They are still in business and have many locations. Check for one near you.

I have seen many vehicles they have undercoated and did rust prevention on. They do a thorough job and if you see what their procedure entails you will be surprised.

If course the best thing to do is do the vehicle while it is new. and clean, but it would probably pay to consider having it done if not too much rust and corrosion have begun.

Check them out before mother nature starts taking your vehicle.