Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Engine Roll Stopper Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Post Engine Roll Stopper Replacement

My '04, 2.4L Santa Fe needs the front and rear roll stoppers replaced and I'm looking for procedures. The front doesn't look too bad from an access standpoint. But I can't see how I'm going to reach the bolts on the rear. Are there speacial tools and/or tricks to reach that thing?

Do these parts fail that often, or might it be a sign of some underlying issue(s).

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

Not sure what you mean by "roll stoppers".

Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by jsinton
Not sure what you mean by "roll stoppers".
I would normally refer to them as engine mounts (front and rear). But Hyundai calls them "roll stoppers". Apparently they keep the engine from rolling from front to back. I believe there may be as many as four separate engine mounts, with the side one(s) being hydraulic in nature.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

Doesn't look too hard. Either you can reach the subframe bolts from underneath, or you'll need some socket extensions and get it from the top. The instructions don't mention anything difficult. They do tell you to use an engine hoist, you don't need it. Just do one mount at a time. Might need a hydrolic jack to lift the motor a little to get the through bolt in.

The instructions are:

Remove the roller mount through bolt
Remove the mount bolt from the subframe

Attached Thumbnails Engine Roll Stopper Replacement-roll-mount.gif  
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 PM

Thanks. I read SMA Service and the instructions were similar to what you described. After looking at the rear mount, there was precious room in which to operate. So, I was looking for any small tidbits that might give me a little confidence going into it. As it is, I'm not sure that Karen Carpenter could fit her hands into the prescribed area. But I'll give 'er a try.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Banned

Karen Carpenter... ha... Probably lost on the younger members.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Karen Carpenter... ha... Probably lost on the younger members.
The younger members have only just begun to learn. If they stay close to you they will learn alot.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned

Ahhh... touche Nova. I used to have some Carpenters albums in the old days...

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Unhappy

Doesn't look too hard. Either you can reach the subframe bolts from underneath, or you'll need some socket extensions and get it from the top. The instructions don't mention anything difficult. They do tell you to use an engine hoist, you don't need it. Just do one mount at a time. Might need a hydrolic jack to lift the motor a little to get the through bolt in.

The instructions are:

Remove the roller mount through bolt
Remove the mount bolt from the subframe
The manual's instructions are the understatement of the decade. The front roll stopper's bolts are easy to access. Though it can't be removed unless you lift the engine in some manner. Fortunately, when I removed the bolts it allowed the part to turn a bit so that I could get a better look at it. In fact what I thought were tears were actually optical illusions caused by the rubber mold.

Unfortunately the rear mount is still torn (as far as I can see). It is without a doubt impossible to replace unless you remove the entire engine. Even then it will be difficult because the nuts are tucked under the firewall ledge, with about 1" clearance above them. So I doubt anyone could access them without a very special tool. In my opinion, that's a really bad design "feature".

I would love to know what the tech guide estimates for replacement hours on the rear mount.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Here are HMA Service images of the rear roll stopper, which are misleading at best. There are three nuts located inside the skirt of the part and tucked behind the engine and beneath the firewall. They cannot be reached unless the engine is removed. Even then, you will need special tools. If anyone disagrees, come to my house and I'll pay you $$$ to prove otherwise.

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/p...8&pictureid=59

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/p...8&pictureid=60

Note: The red line on the second image approximates the firewall position.

Quick Reply: Engine Roll Stopper Replacement