Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

forgot to replace crush washer, did I ruin it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Default forgot to replace crush washer, did I ruin it?

I changed oil, but did not replace the crush washer. Now its weeping; about 20-30 drips a day. What are my changes of getting a crush washer and having a tight seal?

If I ruined it, any idea on how much getting it rebored will cost?

nhman.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by nhman
I changed oil, but did not replace the crush washer. Now its weeping; about 20-30 drips a day. What are my changes of getting a crush washer and having a tight seal?

If I ruined it, any idea on how much getting it rebored will cost?

nhman.
Replace the crush washer and see if the dripping stops.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:10 AM
Banned

Did you tighten it up real good? Don't go crazy, but usually the drain plug will let you tighten down on it pretty good.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:46 AM

FYI, I replaced the washer and the leak is fixed. I will replace the cruch washer on every change going forward

Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

You probably don't need to. I never do, never seems to be a problem. Won't hurt, though.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 PM

I agree about it not being a problem if you don't use a crush washer each time. I recently bought a case of OEM filters for my Santa Fe and they threw the crush washers in with them. When I got it I realized I had never used them before. As a matter of fact, I had my timing belt replaced in January and had them change the oil while they were at it. I just changed the oil myself and even the dealer didn't put one on. Of course the gorilla who did the oil change cranked the damn plug in so tight I had to use a hammer (yikes!) to bang on the wrench to loosen it.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is I never had a problem in the three years that I've had the vehicle doing my oil changes without a crush washer. However, just to be on the safe side and now that I know they exist I will use one.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Default Crush washer

Is the crush washer the one on the drain plug - like an o-ring....??? O-rings don't need to be replaced all the time and I don't do it on my other car. Is it completely necessary? Same goes for the o-rings in the filter housing. I'm thinking about changing my girlfriend's oil on her 2007 santa fe from here on out and wanted to know if there were any special things. This crush washer thing sounds blown out of proportion considering similar o-rings are used on other cars and I didn't have problems not replacing them.

Please let me know what "really" needs replacing - and if the o-rings need replacing in the filter housing has anyone found replacements when not included in the filter from hyundai. I'm going to buy some Napa Gold filters today so that is why I asked.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:31 AM

As I mentioned, I changed the oil many times without a washer on the drain plug with no problems. The case of filters I bought also came with the washers so now I use them and will continue to do so. It can't hurt.

As for the oil filter itself, are you talking about the o-ring/gasket? If so, that's a definite. I've never known a filter to not have one. That's what is going to make the seal between the filter and housing.