Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Help required for non starting Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Default Help required for non starting Santa Fe

2004 100k 2.0L CRDi Santa Fe Starting problems
Hi All Im looking for suggestions on what to try next

Firstly whats happening Well it wont start when its cold and been left for varying lengths of time. And yet a small quick squirt of easy start gets it going as easy as anything and it starts for the next few times till its either left over night or its really cold.
Also I have noticed that when it wont start I can see a liquid that runs down the right hand side at the front of the engine as you stand at the front of the car and leaves a puddle in the sump guard I never thought anything about it till today I just thought it was the aircom drain liquid but touching it it feels waxy or oily a little like diesel Plus Iv only seen it when the engine just turns over and over and dont start But when it does it stops. Im going to try and catch some of the liquid to try and find out what it is later.
So Far I have had the injectors tested and They are OK. I have had the Alternator and battery tested the first is fine the battery is 200cca down from 750 to 560 which under normal circumstances would still be within tolerances
But Now I have a list and dont know which way to go first.
Glow Plugs
Crankshaft sensor
Camshaft sensor
Fuel pressure valve on end of CRD manifold
Main Pump
Pump just outside tank (lift pump)
Is there anything else that you suggest I add to the list please. Or have a suggestion as to which way to go or to try next.

I did think it might be a glow plug problem as it seamed to always be when it was freezing or frosty but then the othermorning I had left it till just after lunch and the sun had been on it so it was not freezing by any means just a normal winters day but did not feel cold to the face and it would not start then either till the small sniffter of easy start and away it goes.

Finally a general question with the easy start what does that actually do other than to help a engine start when it is cold or starting to wear out? By that I mean if it was a fuel pressure problem Or how easy start could get around that.Hence how it would change the affects of say a Crankshaft, Camshaft or fuel pressure sensor problem I cannot see it doing so can you?

Finally I nearly forgot the Tech who tested the injectors did a electronic fault test and he got a error fault from the EGR valve sensor but he said that would not stop the engine from starting? Would It?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:20 AM

From personal experience, a stuck egr definitely makes it harder to start, especially on cold mornings. When mine was stuck, it was harder to start but eventually did start.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:38 AM

I would look for a small leak bleeding prime check and fix any leaks first. Check for a leaking lift pump or leaking check valve.

Last edited by rhandwor; 03-23-2015 at 08:55 AM.