Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Passenger Power Window unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 AM
Default Passenger Power Window unresponsive

Hi all,

The passenger power window on our 2011 Santa Fe will not roll up or down. Neither the driver switch or passenger switch work. I've checked all the fuses and even swapped a few with known working ones and still will not work. No issues with any other windows using main or driver switches. Before it completely died, it worked sporadically, and stopped. When I put my ear to the door and activate the switch, I hear some activity, about the sound level of a solenoid clicking (not nearly as loud though as the other windows), but eventually stops after 4-5 tries.

I'm venturing to guess the motor has burnt out as the vehicle is up there in age. I don't think its the regulator either, but know I should check with a volt meter. However, hoping to get help verifying as I would like to buy the motor before pulling the door apart as it's tough to find time with the big family to pull the door apart

Thanks all

Old 06-27-2019, 09:28 PM

With a big family the last thing you need is buying a motor that you might not need.
I don't know of any other way except to open up the door and verify power and ground to that motor ,then temporarily put the panel back on so you could at least use the vehicle and at least you won't be up in the air about whether or not to get a motor.
There are times when a wire gets almost completely separated where the door flexes the wires , and not enough power can get to the motor for it to operate correctly. These things have to be checked and verified before jumping the gun and buying a motor. Some places will allow you to return a motor if not used and that may be an option to check out.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:52 PM

There is another way to confirm operation ,and I hesitated to mention it because it could be costly. A capable scan tool can check switch function, motor response, and operation of the window regulator assy all without removing anything. Depending on your circumstances, at least you know there is another option.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:46 PM

A scan tool with that capability would cost quite a bit
And be prohibitive for anyone who is only going to using it one or two times

The only way to truly find out what is wrong is to take apart the door panel
And check the motor and window regulator

If you buy the motor ahead of time then be sure you can return it if that isn't the problem

Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply. Holiday here and had some time to look closer. My volt meter was broken, but decided to pull the door apart anyway to look for loose wires etc.
I ended up removing the motor from the door and saw that it would work in one direction when the switch was activated, but no response in the other direction. I could feel a very faint twitch / action in the motor on the bad direction - which leads me to believe power was still going, but not responding.

I tested the switch on the driver door as well and the motor worked in one direction, but unresponsive in the other, so I don't think it's the switch. Is there a kill switch or anything in the regulator that stops a motor from activating if the window is all the way up - or is this a pretty good sign the motor should be replaced?

Thanks all,

Last edited by CanuckDad; 07-02-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:45 AM
Default Passenger power window unresponsive.

The FIRST thing to check when this happens is the "power window disable switch" on the driver's control panel. It's the top switch on the right side of the control panel below the outside mirror control.
If the power window disable switch is pressed down all the power windows except the driver's side will be locked, even if they are partially open.. It's a safety feature. Simply press the switch to see if it comes back up. If it does then you will be able to open and close all of the power windows. It's easy to accidentally press the disable switch down.

If this does not solve the problem then check out the specific fuse for the power windows. If that does not work....head for the dealer or an auto electric shop.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:29 AM

Hi All,

Posting an update for others. So I managed to fix the issue. I sprayed contact spray liberally into the switch and let it sit. It didn't work the first time and had to do it 2-3 times for a permanent fix. What made the initial diagnosis confusing is that both switches were unresponsive. I probably didn't notice when the first went because it was winter and was not using the windows. So contact spray, both sides, 2-3 times fixed the issues. Thanks all.