Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

SantaFe Remote Car Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Default SantaFe Remote Car Start Question

Today I spent the day installing a remote car starter from DEI.. The system uses the existing security/keyless entry that is factory builtin. It works well. However we have one issue that we had to work around. To remote start the car from my hyundai supplied remote. I have to press "unlock-lock-unlock".. and then lock again if I want my doors to be locked while running the car.

Heres why:

The security system in the santa Fe is set so that when you press lock on the Keychain it sends a lock to the doors, if you hit the lock button again, only the hazards flash, it already knows the doors are locked again and does not send another pulse to the motors to make sure the doors are locked.

This is why I had to use the U-L-U (unlock-lock-unlock) sequence. We used two diodes from the unlock-lock motars to the input on the DEI. I was hoping to use a L-L-L sequence to start the car. But the motors only get one lock pulse.

Do you know if there is a way to reprogram the car's system to always send a lock pulse to the doors when you hit the lock on the keychain? I couldnt find out the details on the hmaservice site. Just wish we could use a simple L-L or a L-L-L sequence. Thought about wiring the DEI input to the hazard flashes, but wouldnt that be funny if someone set off the car alarm and the car started! Or if I put on the hazards, the car would start.

But on a side note it is working. I have a 2002 2.7L santa fe and a 2004 3.5L santa fe and they both work great! Only took me about 2 hours per car.

Any suggestions on how to get the factory security to always send lock pulses to the doors would be great!

Thanks

Old 04-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Default RE: SantaFe Remote Car Start Question

If you don't mind me asking, whom did you purchase it from and what is the model number? Thinking about adding one to my 2004 Santa Fe!!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:40 PM

Have another question for you!! Could you tell me where the system is located on the 2004, I cannot find it to reprogram the remote!! And I do not want to pay the dealer ship to do it!!
Thank you very much!!

Lainie ;-)

Old 12-02-2007, 12:54 PM

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I need help. I bought a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7 V6 less than a week ago from a Nissan dealer and did not get a key less entry remote nor an owners manual. The problem is that the car turns on just fine but will not shift from P to D even when pressing the brakes down, the handle is like stuck. What can I do? Do you guys know what the problem is? Please help, thanks!

Old 12-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

I'm seeing three different issues here:

1. No owners manual. Go to HyundaiUSA.com and register your vehicle and there will be a link to download an owners manual in pdf format.

2. No key fobs. You can buy some online and, I think for a 2002, program them yourself. I'll try to find more info on that.

3. Can't shift into drive. This has nothing to do with the remote. If the alarm system was disabling the car, it wouldn't even let the engine start. Have you tried pulling on the steering wheel one way or the other when trying to shift? Sometimes the lock that keeps someone from steering the wheel when you're in Park can work the other way around and keep you from going into Drive (especially if there is tension on the steering wheel).