Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Sluggish start, random slow down, smoke from behind front driver's wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Default Sluggish start, random slow down, smoke from behind front driver's wheel

A couple of months ago, I would go to start the car and it would sound like it wouldn't turn over but eventually did within a few seconds. We recently had a huge rainstorm and since then the car would have a sluggish start and finally kick into gear after a few miles.

But recently, I was driving on the highway (after having made a few local stops) and the car started to slow down. It felt like the wheels were missing a gear or something so I pulled into a gas station. When I got out of the car there was smoke coming through the rims from behind the wheel. So far I've gotten two oil changes and my break pads changed. When I took it to the dealer they said someone poured the wrong oil into the master cylinder and the system is contaminated. The thing is though, no lights came on or anything to alert me of a problem. Also, whatever work that was done on the vehicle was done at least 3-4 weeks prior to this issue. So now I don't know what to do. Should I take it to someone else for a second opinion? Do I try to just trade it in? Help!

Last edited by JCorcho; 04-06-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: detailed title