Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

UK spec, Santa Fe, Max roof load - help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Default UK spec, Santa Fe, Max roof load - help?

Hi All,

Hope someone can help.

I've recently bought a 2005 Santa Fe CRTD and have only just noticed that a sticker on the roof bars state that maximum load capacity is only 34kg ! (Owners manual say's "Loading cargo above 34kg on roof rack may damage your vehicle")

This seems incredibly low (my tiny Ford Fiesta has a rating of 75kg !), and 34kg is far too low for me to use it for carrying 2 - 3 kayaks (~20kg each) which unfortunately was one of the thingsI was planning to use it for.

Does anyone know why the limit is so low ?

Does anyone know what will happen if I substantially exceed this value ? (Kayaks fall off ?, roof bars bend ?, roof bends ? Doors dont fit ? Car falls over going round corners?)

I'd be very grateful if someone can offer some help/advice.
Regards,
Brian.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: UK spec, Santa Fe, Max roof load - help?

34-kg is approx 75-lbs so that seems correct for the Santa Fe if I remember correctly. However, I believe that rating is for the factory crossbars. The main rails can carry more weight if you replace the cross bars with stronger ones. I've seen aftermarket crossbars that can handle up to 180 pounds so it appears the rails car handle that weight.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:14 PM

Hi NovaResource,

Many thanks for your reply. However unfortunately the limit of 34kg is specified for theactual roof rails (ie. the ones that run along the length of the car), andappears to be completely independent of the cross bars. Unfortunately I can't see that using stronger bars will help me, after all the weight will still be transferred to the rather wimpy roof rails.

You don't happen to know a way to get a message through to Hyundai engineering do you ?

I think I'm going to have to accept the fact that 34kg is the limit, but I'd like to know what the risk I am taking is if I exceed that limit.

Thanks again.
Brian.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure:

Perrycraft Roof Rack
App: 2001-2006 Hyundai Santa Fe
Brand: Perrycraft
Part #: SQ5560B
Notes: "PERRYCRAFT SPORTQUEST HEAVY DUTY ROOF RACK, POWDERCOATED BLACK 55 in. x 60 in., 180 lbs. Load Capacity,

http://www.racepages.com/parts/roof_.../santa_fe.html

Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Thanks again for your continued help NovaResource, it's greatly appreciated (particularly the link !)

I've had a look at this and both the "Perrycraft" and the "Westin" manufacturers sites.

To be honest (and to my continued dismay !) I still think the Hyundai limit will take precedence, but I've sent technical query emails to both manufacturers.

Thanks again.
Brian.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Hi,

Had a response from Westin roof racks. As I feared they have confirmed that the Hyundai figure takes precedence over everything else.

Sigh !

Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Bummer.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:59 AM

2009 model has limit on cross bars of 100kg by owners manual

white santefe 711