Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:40 AM

All I can say is that it must be a nightmare for the dealer to perform warranty work. If I were a dealer and a customer came in with a complaint I'd replace anything and everything until it was fixed. It's free money for them, isn't it? It's like having your business come to you without having to advertise and worry about whether you're going to get paid. I can't understand why they are so reluctant to perform warranty work. There must be some kind of politics or policy inside Hyundai (and others) that makes it a disadvantage to perform warranty work.

For one thing, new cars that return for warranty work lower the "Initial Quality" rating of the vehicle that the public sees when doing research. So Hyundai's high IQ rating, which is higher than Toyota's, simply means that Hyundai refuses to admit that there's a problem. All of this corporate greed and dishonesty is really getting to me.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Banned

Most warranty work is covered by HMC, and dealers don't mind doing that work, it's profitable service work. But in a case like this, where the problem can be reasonably blamed on poor care of the vehicle while it's sitting on the lot, and even the dealer says so, then they won't cover.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 AM

I just bought a new SantaFe. I had the same vibration at 50mph, took it back to the dealer and they balanced all four tires plus had a 4 tire alignment. It was better but the vibration was still there, the vibration you feel in the seat of the car. Had the force balancing done was slightly better. I feel it's the tires, since the force balancing did help. I'm taking it back to the dealer again. Let's keep everyone posted with the solution. I really like the car.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:43 PM

I was back to the dealer yesterday, they performed a 4-wheel alignment, vibration further reduced, but it’s still there.

I like this vehicle too, but my fear is what happens down the road (no pun intended).
After the tires and rotors wear, if you bump into a curb or anything that causes a slight imbalance in the tire, will the severe vibration return, do I have to buy a new tire, what if the tires aren’t manufactured next year, do I have to buy 4 new tires plus road force balancing? After 1 year adjustments like these aren’t covered anymore!

We need a permanent solution.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 AM

You can go to www.tirerack.com Put your info in their box, type of car, model,etc. Then click "tire" then click "View all Tire sizes "ON THE SECOND PAGE YOU WILL SEE YOUR TIRE. Bridgestone H/T D684-2 .Click on the tire rating. You will see how its rated, right under the rating you will see " Compare with other Hwy. tires" Click on that. You will see that your tires are rated 62 best. If you leave in a snowy area, I would change the tires. If not run them until they wear out. I think the tires are a big problem? Make sure you buy the new tires from a detirer dealer that has the foad force balancing machine, there should be no charge since your buying the tires. I'm taking my car back into the dealer to see if the drive shaft is out of balance will keep you posted.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 AM

I had a distric rep take my car out last week.... What an f'n nightmare. 2 hours I wasted driving to the dealership and taking the moron out for a ride in my vehicle. Reproduced the vibration for him, then when we got back to the dealership, he says "could not duplicate issue'. What an a$$. I've decided the only way I'm going to get this fixed at this point is to hire an attorney. They refuse to do any work on the vehicle, I've suggested that they check for an out of balance drive shaft among other things and they just let the car sit there all day and did nothing to it.

I'm yelling lemon at this point until they fix the car. This should be an easy diagnostic fix, but if they won't take the time, then I'm done dealing with them, they can deal with my attorney.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 AM

When you mention driveshaft is that for the all-wheel drive models ? I have 2008 SF and notice more vibration than prior cars but to me seems like the car is more sensitive to road surface - cement is worse.

Also low profile 18" wheels on the limited doesn't help...

Love the rest of the car except the power sterring is way too easy...

Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Default Me Too

I have an 07 2wd 3.3L

Over 70 mph there is a bit of shimmy. Going at lower speeds I can hear the d-d-d-d-d (poor attempt at describing the tire noise) coming from the tires on the road. I had the tires rotated on schedule, the sound and shimmy went away. I had my second tire rotation, and the rear wheels came back to the front, and the problem came back. My opinion is a bad tire.

Also, another thought is the tire pressure sensor/monitor, they have to do some major counter balancing with that unit inside the wheel. I'm going to do searches on the tire and find out if the tire has a common problem.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by pmctexas
This is actually my wife's favorite feature on the Hyundai. It was also her main gripe about our Grand Vitara- she says it's too hard to turn the wheel. Women don't want to "feel the road". I have to agree with her. It's not a sports car. Where we live the roads are very rough and have a strong slope for water run off. It's gets tiring fighting with the steering wheel just to keep the car on the road.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by pmctexas
When you mention driveshaft is that for the all-wheel drive models ? I have 2008 SF and notice more vibration than prior cars but to me seems like the car is more sensitive to road surface - cement is worse.

Also low profile 18" wheels on the limited doesn't help...

I don't have AWD on mine, but it was a suggestion from someone else, either on this or another forum.

Quick Reply: Vibration Problem