Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

06 07 sonata right front end k-thunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Default 06 07 sonata right front end k-thunk

I know that rear front end k-thunk was fixed for 06 models.
but I notice right front end k-thunk

Does anyone notice?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Default RE: 06 07 sonata right front end k-thunk

I called my Hyundai Dealer (Huffines Hyundai in McKinney, TX (DFW Metro)) and they informed me that this was a "Full on recall last year and that the 2007 models on their lot were all treated prior to even being sold. Anyone else in other areas of the USA have this experience? If so, what were your observations after buying a car that was supposedly fixed for this problem? Did the problem continue to persist or not? For me here, I am not exactly sure on how to identify this issue yet. Perhaps may be in my case, the dealership was correct in what they said.

Additionally, for the fuel sloshing issue that most of you are noticing when the car has in excess of 3/4 of the tank full, I've tried to look for this problem in my car and have not noticed this either. I assume that I need to look out for a splashing like noise that apparently seems to eminate from the fuel tank correct?

Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited (w/. Platinum Edition Package)
Color: Ebony Black
Purchase Date: 3/13/2007
Current Mileage: 2600-2700 miles (Approx.)
URL: http://www.carspace.com/sunsonshaan0...7%27s%20Album/

Old 05-14-2007, 01:59 PM

We have approx 1800 miles on our '07 and have neither of those problems, so far.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:23 PM

And so

Old 05-28-2007, 11:09 PM

The rear k thunk was fixed before selling sonatasto the public.
The right front k thunk was never confirmed officially by Hyundai.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:40 PM

I went to the dealer at 9a.m. and came home at 4p.m.

I waited about 6 hours in the service without a fix.

Do I need to say more about how horrible the experience was?

Yesterday, the lady at service deparment told me to bring in the car in the morning so that the mechanic can take a look at it. She told me the earlier the better.

When I got there, she told me to drop the car and let someone I know pick me up.
I was not planning on doing that so I waited. I had to wait since everybody I know was at work. AND I told that yesterday that I would wait when I bring the car next morning.

at 3p.m., someone called me on my cellphone saying that the car was ready.
.......wait.......it was not the service lady. It was cashier.
When she would explain something to anyone who did oil changes, why was she not there to explain to me anything?

I had to ask her what was done after I got my paper work.

Someone else in the service department came out to do the test drive with me(finally).

Before I went out the dealer lot, he said, "are you talking about this bumpy noise on certain bumpy roads? Hyundai said it's normal. Every sonata has that noise."
I was thinking, if you guys knew what was going on, why did you have me wait?
and if the noise front end is normal, why just the right side of it?

He would go on and say "how much did you pay for this car? Hyundai probably have used less material but you get a lot out of this car with that money"
I told him that it was a mistake that I paid less for Hyundai. I should've paid 5000 more for toyota so that I wouldn't hear this clunking.

I declined to say the price I paid since he knew the average price if he works at Hyundai.

BMW and Mercedez have their own issues as well. I said "I know that but I'm taking about the issue with this car."

then he said "I had worked for toyota for 4 years and I switched to Hyundai because there were many issues with toyota vehicles."

I said "you would be switching to other car maker since Hyundai has many issues with their cars."

I was wondering what he would say about Hyundai when he gets out of Hyundai service.

he said he had to talk to the manager and Hyundai headquarter or something so that the strut or shock can be replaced. He told me that he would replace the strut if I wanted but there was one customer who did the replacement and the problem was not solved.

They lied about me being the first customer who complained about the front end noise.

I also showed the rear shock TSB campaign print out, she and he kind of declined to look at it since it was referring to rear shock. I wanted to explain that something like this can cause my front end noise. When he looked at it, he said it was a recall. I told him that if it was a recall every sonata owner should get the recall message in the mail. Is TSB campaign a recall?

I don't know if I should replace it or not, I just don't trust this dealer.

After this experience, I have realized that the warranty is kind of meaningless.

If it's this difficult to replace the strut, I wonder how painful it can get when it comes to engine or tranny issues.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

You are encountering the biggest drawback of buying a Hyundai. The cars are decent, the warranty is fine. However, way back when Hyundai was starting out, it was so hard to get dealers that they didn't force a lot of control on a dealer. If they did, the dealer would just pull out. So now Hyundai has a very inconsistent dealer network in the U.S. The bad news is you got one of the bad dealers. The good news is that you can take your car to other Hyundai dealers in your area and they should still honor the warranty.

I had a nagging emissions issue that required something like a half dozen visits to the dealer. I bought the car 40 miles from home, but took it to the dealer nearest my home to get the warranty work done. Not only did they do good work and treat me well, but they never made an issue about my not buying the car there. And unlike some of the horror stories of Hyundai dealers not wanting to do warranty work, they don't seem to mind at all. In fact, I know someone that took his car in just out of warranty (63,000 miles) and they fixed his problem anyway.

If there are any otherHyundai dealers you can try, go for it; they can't do any worse. And also while you're at it, contact the Hyundai corporate customer contact for your area and report your problem (both the car problem and the dealer problem).

What part of the country do you live in?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:29 PM

I live in somewhere between Baltimore and Washington D.C. in Maryland.

I'm gonna try another dealer sometime soon.

They knew what the problem was but they did notwant to dothe warranty work so they just had me wait 6 hours. After 6 hours, she told me that the mechanic could not hear the clunking noise and said AFTER6 HOURS, "if you want the mechanic to drive the car with you, we can arrange that."

I guess it's just another bad dealer.

Where do I find phone number for Hyundai corporate customer service?