Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

06 Sonata Major Problem Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Default 06 Sonata Major Problem Need Advice

I brought my 06 Sonata (single owner, approx 55k miles) to the dealership for several problems. The major issue is that at around 45 mph (but also at other speeds) the car begins to shutter. This happens when you are trying to maintain a speed and your foot is just barely on the gas.

First, the dealer could not reproduce the problem and no codes were set so, of course, they told us there was no problem. That didn't work for my wife or me so we told them to keep the car and drive it again until it happened. A few hours later we got a call. "I drove the car and reproduced the problem. It is a software issue for the transmission where the torque converter lock-up continuously cycles in and out of lock-up. We will have it fixed later today, wait for our call."

Next call was to my wife who was told, "We can fix this on the 08 but not on the 06. It will not damage the car though so don't worry. Come pick your car up."

Well, I don't know how many of you have driven with a fuel filter in dire need of replacement but that is the sensation you get. The car is continuously jerking you around. This is absolutely not acceptable and I doubt we could sell the car to anyone in this condition either.

We love the car other than this (and the lower than advertised fuel economy). I would prefer to just get it fixed and keep driving it but here are my questions.

1. Does anyone have a fix for this?
2. If not what should I ask of the dealer or manufacturer?
3. Do I have any legal rights here? Lemon Law?

Basically they told me, we know it doesn't work right but we don't know how to fix it so don't worry about it.

Shaken up and aggravated in Florida,

Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Default RE: 06 Sonata Major Problem Need Advice

"We can fix this on the 08 but not on the 06. It will not damage the car though so don't worry. Come pick your car up."
What a load. You do not have to use your original dealership for warranty repair, you can take the car to any Hyundai dealership.

The problem needs to be properly diagnosed. I would find another dealership ASAP and drive the car as little as possible (consider using your Hyundai roadside assistance benefits and have it towed to another dealership). A failing torque converter is pretty catastrophic, it may require a tranny rebuild with a new converter (assuming the first dealership was even close).

http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/st...ws/florida.htm

We love the car other than this (and the lower than advertised fuel economy).
It turns out EPA estimates before 2008 were too liberal, hardly any cars attained mileage close to the published values. EPA changed their methods with the 2008 model year. My 2008 Sonata V6 gets slightly better than claimed around town (22 mpg) and pretty much dead on for highway mileage (29 mpg).

Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Banned

So what dealer did you take it to?

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Ken, you need to find a different dealer or mechanic. The dealer you are going to is not doing a good job.

2. If not what should I ask of the dealer or manufacturer?
Tell them they are full of crap. Find a different dealer or anindependent mechanic that knows Hyundai products.

Unfortuneately, no. The Lemon Law is only for new cars and usually only during the first year. You car is older than a year and used.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks guys.

The dealership is the only one here in Fort Walton Beach, FL. Hampton Motors. The next closest is over an hour away in Pensacola. That pretty much explains their lack luster service. They have great customer interactions but the actual service they provide is worthless. I guess we'll have to make the trip. When we pick the car up today I'm going to let them know we're bringing it to another dealership to see if they can help at all.

One of the other problems is that the hydrolic cylinders that lift the trunk are dying. The trunk will lift about half way and then you have to wait a bit before it will raise the rest of the way. ANSWER: This is normal you just have to wait for the trunk to open.

I've really never been happy with their service but they are the only game in town. The last think that broke was the passenger sunvisor. The plastic just broke one day and the whole thing is hanging by the mirror light wires. We brought it in and they said they'd order the parts. I cut the wires and took the thing down AFTER they saw it. It's hard to drive with this huge thing swinging around. Well, then they tried to refuse to fix it saying that I caused the problem. Ugg, I'm getting aggrivated just thinking about it.

I figured the lemon law was going to be a bust for me but I figured I'd ask.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

About the trunk cylinders: they aren't really there to lift the lid (although they will lift it some), they are there to prevent it from falling when it's open. The way you describe their operation sounds normal. They only need replacing when they no longer hold the trunk lid all the way open.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 PM

About the trunk cylinders: they aren't really there to lift the lid (although they will lift it some), they are there to prevent it from falling when it's open. The way you describe their operation sounds normal. They only need replacing when they no longer hold the trunk lid all the way open.
This is exactly the way the trunk lids open when using the fob on both the 08 Limited and 09 GLS in the family. In fact, when the latch pops it is hardly noticeable that the lid has moved on either car. I actually prefer this way compared to my Taurus trunk lid that will catch you on the chin if you are standing too close when the lid flies up.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 AM

I went back to the dealership. On ALL the new Sonata'swhen you pop the trunk they stay down. But when you open the trunk half-way they will continue to full open. This is what mine used to do. I'm full of groceries, I pop the trunk, slip one finger under the trunk and I can get the trunk open all the way with the help of the cylinders. Now, I do the same and the trunk only opens as far up as I can get it. I don't expect it to pop open when I press the button, only to get back to where it was 4 months ago.

The trany problem. Well, after much aggravation, here is new story. Techs will disconnect the transmission sending unit. If the condition persists than the trany is getting replaced. If the condition is resolved then the sending unit is getting replaced. I am at least happy that I have an answer that sounds reasonable. Although, I want to make sure they are certain this is the problem. I don't want the fuel filter to be the problem and end up with a new trany.

The guy that helped us was one of the new car salesmen. Bruce King. Great guy so if you have a chance to buy a Hyundai, I recomend him. He got us looking at the Genesis too. Nice.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 AM

I went back to the dealership. On ALL the new Sonata's when you pop the trunk they stay down. But when you open the trunk half-way they will continue to full open. This is what mine used to do. I'm full of groceries, I pop the trunk, slip one finger under the trunk and I can get the trunk open all the way with the help of the cylinders. Now, I do the same and the trunk only opens as far up as I can get it. I don't expect it to pop open when I press the button, only to get back to where it was 4 months ago.
Sorry, I misunderstood your concern. Yes, as Novaresource pointed out, strut loose their effectiveness over time. They are not difficult to replace.

Techs will disconnect the transmission sending unit. If the condition persists than the trany is getting replaced.......I don't want the fuel filter to be the problem and end up with a new trany.
This is a repair on the 10 year/100K powertrain warranty, it shouldn't cost you a dime. Torque converter shutter is a vary specific and unique circumstance, what makes you think the fuel filter is involved?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:37 PM

It's not that I am convinced it is the fuel filter. I have been working on cars for over 20 years now and have had plenty of experiences where the most simple and obvious problem was overlooked. Initially this had the feeling of a fuel filter problem when I first noticed it. Now that I have been paying closer attention, I think the diagnosis is correct. The problem is mostly isolated to 45-55 mph so I am pretty satisfied with there diagnosis now. I just hope the solution works. We'll find out in a week or so.

Quick Reply: 06 Sonata Major Problem Need Advice