Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

09 Sonata Elect. Problems and Hyundai Hotline Difficulties

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Default 09 Sonata Elect. Problems and Hyundai Hotline Difficulties

After a lot of research and negotiating, I drove off lot with Willow Grey option package 2 4 cyl. GLS on Aug. 4th 215 miles, obtained from a different dealer. I put 50 miles on car that day. Next morning car would not shift out of park. Dealership sent over a replacement, I showed the salesman how to release the shift lock, car returned 5 hours later "all fixed", with 10 more miles. I then took my wife for her first ride of 5 miles. Next morning, Aug 6th, same problem, I used the shift lock release and took the car to dealership, another 5 miles. The car remained at the dealership until it was finally repaired on Sep. 5th when I drove off the lot with 299 miles on the car. Over the 32 days, a module, solenoid, main fuse box, and main wiring harness were replaced, last two items difficult to obtain. Through a search done by the service writer, we discovered that the other dealership had replaced a brake light switch and transmission switch. The mechanics and the serivce manager also had discovered a broken bolt in the main fuse box which would not make contact when the engine compartment was cold, they believed this bolt to have been broken during assembly. I can't say enough about how well I was treated and the service I received at Shults Hyundai. Now the bad, I made five (5) calls to the Hyundai USA 1-800 number and spoke to the "flak catchers", nice ladies-no powers, who assured me that the regional office had been informed and who would get back to me. Never was I contacted by a Hyundai representative. I wrote to the Hyundai Corprote Offices explained my frustrations and the lack of communication in spite of their web sites claims to be concerned and desire to satisfy. I also detailed my frustrations during a Hyundai web site evaluation, which seems to be the only way to contact them through the web site. Last week, two months after obtaining the car, through a BBB representative, Hyundai offered a navigation system as compensation, no explanation as to why no communication. Now next week I have a BBB arbitration scheduled. I have also contact the NYS Attorney Generals office and should be getting an arbitration date in the future, if needed. I have concerns about the value of the car after 5 or more electrical repairs and the potential for future problems, I know that if I have to keep the car it will only be up to the 5 year warranty period. I keep pointing out that a car fax review would give this car's value a decreased estimate in most peoples view. As for the car, I think it is every thing I expected. It is comfortable, well thought out,, rides well and very comfortable. I drove an 09 GLS v6 for two weeks and really enjoyed it, but feared I would get a speeding ticket at some point. That Sonata had the beige interior which I find to not be anywhere as pleasing to the eye as the grey, I wish you could select which interior you wanted.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Default RE: 09 Sonata Elect. Problems and Hyundai Hotline Difficulties

I can't say enough about how well I was treated and the service I received at Shults Hyundai.
You confirm what has become very apparent in discussion threads on the forum, Hyundai offers a very robust warranty but it is not worth any more than the individual dealership working with the customer. I too love my Sonata and am thankful that (so far) I have a good dealer to work with. I have not had to test the warranty like you.

Now the bad, I made five (5) calls to the Hyundai USA 1-800 number and spoke to the "flak catchers", nice ladies-no powers, who assured me that the regional office had been informed and who would get back to me.
Yes, the reality is Hyundai is a mega corporation just like all other automakers. We should not let the warm and fuzzy advertisements make us forget this fact. After I purchased my 08 Limited, my daughter purchased an 09 GLS similar to yours. I noticed that the little supplemental owners manual explaining state lemon laws and the BBB arbitration option that came with the 08 was not among the literature supplied with the 09.

Last week, two months after obtaining the car, through a BBB representative, Hyundai offered a navigation system as compensation, no explanation as to why no communication. Now next week I have a BBB arbitration scheduled. I have also contact the NYS Attorney Generals office and should be getting an arbitration date in the future, if needed.
If possible, keep us posted on what results from the arbitration. I think this may be the first BBB arbitration with Hyundai discussed on the forum (at least since I joined).

Old 10-06-2008, 08:21 AM

You might want to look at Smart Money web site which someone in another forum suggested to me. An article, http://smartmoney.com,
about the BBB being to too cozy with the big business, which are the source for their funding, to actually have the consumers best interest as their goal . Another interesting article on the car companies and the lemon law process can be be found at http://seniormag.com. I am sure I will learn a lot of things I never wanted to learn as I proceed through this never ending trail of woe.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Last Tuesday I had the BBB arbitration hearing. I presented my case to the arbitrator and a Hyundai representative who had driven 8 hours and stayed overnight to argue for the company. I ended up explaining what and how the shift lock operates to the best of my ability. I had to argue that brake light switches, which were replaced, are indeed a part of the shift lock problem. I had to demonstrate and show where the main fuse box and wiring harness were located. I presented a time line of my experiences with the problems with the car, attempts to contact Hyundai, trips to and from the dealership, this was 5 pages. My main point was that out of 32 days after taking the car off the lot I had it in my possesion for less than 48 hours. The representative argued I had been covered by the waranty and they had been kind to provide me with loaners for the month plus period. Within 5 days I received a decision, the manufacturer shall provide a replacement vehicle! Now, I will have to see what sort of costs and frustrations I will encounter as a result of my "winning" the arbitration case.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:27 PM

Glad to hear the arbitration was ruled in your favour and I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out. Keep usup to date with what happens.