Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 3.3 Coolant temperature sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 07:19 AM
Default 2006 3.3 Coolant temperature sensor

Can someone please tell me where the temperature coolant sensor is on a 2006 Sonata 3.3.
Everything says on or near thermostat housing. Well the replacement part listed at part stores near me have a rectangle plug in. (Which I have in hand) the other end screws in. I can't find where to put this bad boy. There is a sensor "near" the thermostat housing but it has a round plug end. I even went to a junk yard thinking someone changed the pigtail but other 3.3's have that same round end. Please help I have been at this for 3 weeks.
Already changed air temp module; fan assembly; half my fuses; and the thermostat.
Threw code: fan not coming on

Old 09-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Could you be jumping to a conclusion?

Here is why I ask,
You didn't say if the fan comes on when you turn on the A/C if your vehicle has air conditioning..
If the fan does come on , OK the fan itself works
If you don't know whether the fan works or not , you need to know that.
Then there are relays that control the fan , are they good?
Maybe you checked these things, don't know.
Not knowing where you purchased the replacement sensor, parts people do make mistakes and might be a good idea to confirm you have the correct part.

A coolant sensor that is off spec will still work , but not right.
If the sensor is totally defective you should be getting a check engine light to indicate a problem there and get a code.
Something or someone has caused you to suspect the sensor, would you like to share that reasoning with us?

Just maybe, we might be able to save you some time and $$$,

Old 10-02-2019, 07:36 AM
Default Sonata 3.3

Sorry I wasn't clear. & Regret not seeing this sooner. No the fan wasn't coming on with the a/c. Threw code P0480 Cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction. The temperature control sensor was the first part I purchased. In the meantime, have changed the fan module and fan assembly even though the fan worked when checked straight to power. Checked fuses. Switched relays around. Anywho I finally found it and it looks kinda burned out. It is opposite the thermostat and below like a second tier down. Also have new relays in hand just in case. Getting a new battery today and will update whether this was the problem with the fan.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:04 AM
Default Location temperature control sensor 3.3 Sonata

Old 10-02-2019, 08:11 AM
Default Location temperature control sensor 3.3 Sonata

This is the diagram the dealer sent me going by my VIN # the other diagram was correct for my car.