Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 Sonata fuel sloshing noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 03:02 AM
Default 2006 Sonata fuel sloshing noise

Hi there. My 2006 Sonata has a very annoying fuel sloshing noise with a 3/4 to full fuel tank. This car is so quiet that it is very audible and sounds like grinding brakes or similar noise. Any touch on the brakes will initiate the racket. I have called the dealer and he doesn't sound like he will be too interested. Anyone else experienced this??

Old 10-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Default RE: 2006 Sonata fuel sloshing noise

Mine does it too. It took me a few days to figure out what it was. I have not heard that in a car before. I don't expect much can be done about however.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:23 PM

it doesnt matter if the dealer is "interested" you have a WARRANTY..make them honor it

Old 12-03-2005, 04:10 AM

I just had my first inspection. The dealership owner admitted that other '06 Sonata owners had reported the fuel sloshing noise too. He said that Hyundai was working on a fix. I Hope it happens, and soon.
Another problem that I found was that the trunk struts do not open the trunk all the way when you let go of it. It stays wherever you leave it. I find that a dangerous trait and could result in some serious head-banging. I am going to track down the local area rep and see if he has any response. The dealer found another new car was the same and shrugged it off.
Another thing....I find the gas pedal very touchy and difficult to leave smoothly from a standing start. That's just the way the car is I know.
Otherwise, really liking the car so far.....quiet, decent milage, peppy 4 cyl engine, lots of extras.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:46 PM

What about loud thumps coming from the back when you go over bumps? Do you have the same issue? I have LX with 17 inch rims

Old 01-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Default RE: 2006 Sonata rear passenger noises

I recently purchased the '06 Sonata LX, and I am experiencing the same rattle/rumble thumping noise in the rear passenger hub area!!!!

The Service department said everything was working to Hyundai specs (they had a "Hyundai Engineer" test drive it with me and he said it was normal road noise - baloney), and the General Manager said he is trying to get Hyundai to address the issue, but to no avail.

It occurs on bumps and dips usually below 30 mph. It is especially loud under 5 mph when you go over a bump or dip.

There is also a constant droning/resonating hum noise when the car hits about 30 mph and higher, which is most noticeable on concrete.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:55 PM

I haven't noticed the sloshing noise in my 06, so far. My gas pedal is awful touchy, too. Sometimes I make jack rabbit starts and others, nice and slow and smooth.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:19 AM

I have a 2006 Sonata and have the sloshing noise. It is the result of No baffle in the gas tank. Hyundai is supposed to be addressing this but I can almost bet that the new cars will be the only one's that get the fix and those with it already will have to pay for the fix.

As for the thump in th back, yes I have it too. It has been addressed on several other Hynudai forums and one person said that the dealer located a wels that was nto adeqaute. No word if this fixed the problem. I ahve done a little experimenting on my own and here are a few things I tried to minimize the sound and it wokrd a little.

First, make sure you spare is tightened all the way. Hyundai apparently has a habit of not doing this before selling cars. The secons thing is the styrofoam jack holder is part of the problem. So try securing it in the spare better. Lastly the cover that goes over the spare fits directly into two holes in the frame of the car. I found by cushioning them it deadened the noise some.

HSONATA06
There is also a constant droning/resonating hum noise when the car hits about 30 mph and higher, which is most noticeable on concrete.
This is another issue that has been apperaing regularly. PLEASE contact Hyundai and start a file with them regarding the problem. I have been trying to get whoever has this to make it known because it IS very anooying and the more people that complain the more Hyundai is likely to address it. I have gone for a test drive with a Hyundai Tech and he heard the noise and is upposed to be getting with Hyundai Engieners so I will keep you posted but CALL HYUNDAI and report it!!!

Old 02-10-2006, 09:52 PM

Mine does it too, but I notice it more when the tank is full of gas. Also, I get a droning and rattle rumble noise from the passenger rear side. Someone said that on a 60 Minutes program a few weeks ago another car maker had the same rear end noise problem, and it was found that they failed to put a bushing between the gas tank and body of the car and/or the bushing was defective or the wrong one - have to get the news on the program findings because I did not see it. I'm ready to lemon this car to a lemon lawyer, but it's a shame.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:11 PM

Hi guys/gals. I haven't checked in for a while and am kind of disappointed to see that nobody had had relief from Hyundai re: the fuel sloshing noise. I usually drive with no more than 3/4 tank of gas to alleviate the annoyance. This of course is "not performance"!

I haven't experienced the "droning rattle thumping" that is mentioned in some posts here. Thank God! The car is kind of sensitive going over speed bumps however. My car is still very low milage though, so time will tell.......

Any ideas on who to call wrt this sloshing noise? If Hyundai is concerned they show little sign of it. I did call Hyundai Canada and got no indication of a future fix. If we could generate some bad publicity it may jumpstart some action.

Quick Reply: 2006 Sonata fuel sloshing noise