Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 Sonata Intermittent Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Default 2006 Sonata Intermittent Electrical Problems

I bought a used 2006 Sonata last May that is giving me fits with an intermittent electrical problem. These problems manefest themselves usually when the gas is not being applied, but not necessarily when the brakes are being applied. The headlights will go off and then come back on; the radio sometimes will go off and then come back on; the A/C fan sometimes sounds as if it has turned off and then comes back on; several times I noticed the ESC light and ABS light come on when the radio and lights and AC turned off and then came back on. All these happenings have been reported to the Hyundai service department but they say they can't get it to repeat the symptoms or find a problem. I can believe they can't find the problem, but I can't believe they haven't experienced what I do every day. Has anyone out there experienced similar things with their Sonatas? According to the factory they have never heard of anything like this before and don't have a clue as to what is happening.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:56 AM
Default RE: 2006 Sonata Intermittent Electrical Problems

Sounds like aground or short issue.I'd suspect the wiring harness ordamage behind a fuse panel. One of the battery cables usually grounds to the block or frame....it maynot be seated 100%. Those are my best guesses. Have you Carfaxed your Sonata?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:45 PM

The exact same things have been happening to mine. We took it into the dealership and they checked it out for us and found problems with the timing belt and the alternator. They fixed the timing belt and replaced the alternator and the problems didn't resurface for about a week until recently. The lights have continued to flicker on and off along with the AC, radio/stereo and the ESC and ABS on the dash. So basically, the dealership misdiagnosed the problems, so I have no idea what it may be if the Hyundai service people can't even explain it. Any suggestions?

Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 PM

How many miles are on your car? I have approx 28,000 and I don't have those issues, but now I'm going to really pay attention to it thank you for the post..[8D]

Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 PM

I have approximately 48,000 miles on my car right now. I wouldn't worry too much about your car starting to do that as of yet but as soon as it starts to do that flickering off and on with the lights or radio I would quickly take it into someplace to get it checked out; even though fixing the timing belt didn't completely cure whatever is wrong with my car they did find some problems with it anyway and a messed up timing belt is not good at all.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Did they fix your car under warranty? That should be covered under the 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty, even if you weren't the original owner.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:21 PM

timing belt on a 06 Sonata? wow. anyway was your car in any accident? like one person posted it seems like it's a groung issue. the dealer should check all ground distributions.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: clapperl

The exact same things have been happening to mine. We took it into the dealership and they checked it out for us and found problems with the timing belt and the alternator. They fixed the timing belt and replaced the alternator and the problems didn't resurface for about a week until recently.
ORIGINAL: clapperl

...even though fixing the timing belt didn't completely cure whatever is wrong with my car they did find some problems with it anyway and a messed up timing belt is not good at all.
You must be confused. The 2006 Sonata was only available with 1 of 2 available engines: the 2.4L Theta 4-cyl or the 3.3L Lambda V6. Both engines have timing CHAINS, not belts. Are you sure the dealer didn't changeACCESSORY DRIVE belt and not the timing belt?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:35 PM

I have little things going on like when I lock or unlock the car, the locks squeak once in a while, not every time. Stupid nonsense like that I have with mine. I'm almost at 30,000 miles..

Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Hello,

I'm having the exact sames problems with my 2006 Sonata. I was wondering if you were able to find and correct the problems.

Thanks

Last edited by raabates; 08-24-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: to add the subject line

Quick Reply: 2006 Sonata Intermittent Electrical Problems