Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2007 Hyundai Sonata 60k service

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Default 2007 Hyundai Sonata 60k service

I plan on taking my sonata in on tues for the 60k maintenance. In that service, it includes a bunch of inspections, tire rotation, oil change, ATF service, coolant, air filter, etc. I was quoted $495 for it. I then went on Hyundai's website to view my scheduled maintenance and it said nothing about getting my ATF fluid done or the fuel injector service that the dealership priced me for.

According to the site, I need to have my ATF done at 105k miles. The fluid is not brown and still has color and seems to shift fine, so my question is, am I safe getting a drain and fill for $150 less? My warranty is up at 60k anyway (second owner).

Also, how do you tell if the coolant needs to be changed or is that another thing they just threw in there?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 AM

well the ATF should be changed at 60,000 for severe usage, pretty much anywhere in the US would fall into this category especially hot/cold climates, stop/go driving. coolant in Hyundai's should be changed about every two years regardless of mileage. a good way to check your coolant is to simply look at it. You can also check the coolant by using a DVOM or multimeter. negative to battery negative terminal and positive in the coolant if you read over .5 Volt DC then your coolant should be changed. as far as a Fuel Injection service. I work at a shop that uses BG products and the BG fuel Air Induction service, when done correctly helps your performance/ fuel economy tremendously.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by aligndahouse
I plan on taking my sonata in on tues for the 60k maintenance. In that service, it includes a bunch of inspections, tire rotation, oil change, ATF service, coolant, air filter, etc. I was quoted $495 for it. I then went on Hyundai's website to view my scheduled maintenance and it said nothing about getting my ATF fluid done or the fuel injector service that the dealership priced me for.

According to the site, I need to have my ATF done at 105k miles. The fluid is not brown and still has color and seems to shift fine, so my question is, am I safe getting a drain and fill for $150 less? My warranty is up at 60k anyway (second owner).
Coolant and trans fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles.

Originally Posted by aligndahouse
Also, how do you tell if the coolant needs to be changed or is that another thing they just threw in there?
Look at the mileage. If it's at 30K, 60K, 90k, 120K, etc, then it should be changed.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:18 PM

I would replace the timing belt at this time, if it breaks, you may need to rebuild the engine. Flush the cooling system as well.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by austex04
I would replace the timing belt at this time, if it breaks, you may need to rebuild the engine. Flush the cooling system as well.
The 2007 Sonata comes with 2 engines: the 2.4L Theta and the 3.3L Lambda. Both engines have timing chains. While engines with belts do require changing at 60K, these two engines do not.