Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2007 Sonata dashboard paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 03:57 PM
Default 2007 Sonata dashboard paint

Gents;
Have a trusty 2007 4 cylinder plain Sonata with the semi dark greyish dashboard color. I put in an aftermarket radio along with a subwoofer so I could listen to yesterday's music in high fidelity. While I was doing so I laid the hazard switch on top of my son's car. Bad thing to do because he drove away before I could retrieve the switch and housing. Now its lost. My question.... would any of you kind gents know where I could get a spray can of interior paint so I could paint the new piece the correct color? I've looked at many sites but they only carry the exterior paint. I suppose I paint the new piece a grey color using any spray paint but the color will almost assuredly considerably mismatch causing me to constantly look at it and quite possibly cause an accident! Thanks my friends.

Old 07-24-2023, 12:40 PM

Some NAPA stores carry quite an assortment of spray paints and you could check which comes closest to what you want.
Something to keep in mind, don't purchase a gloss finish paint because that will reflect all sorts of glare back to the driver.. It may look nice when painted, but will be a driving hazard when the gloss reflects back to the driver's eyes. Most folks don't notice dash coverings are designed to be non reflective.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Some NAPA stores carry quite an assortment of spray paints and you could check which comes closest to what you want.
Something to keep in mind, don't purchase a gloss finish paint because that will reflect all sorts of glare back to the driver.. It may look nice when painted, but will be a driving hazard when the gloss reflects back to the driver's eyes. Most folks don't notice dash coverings are designed to be non reflective.
Thanks Hanky for your advice.....you are always there for us. NAPA is a good store that sells mostly quality parts and I go there often. That said I was able to buy some dedicated interior paint (supposedly) from a store in North Carolina... Classis Dye Products. It remains to be seen if there is a reasonable color match though. After all my Hundai is 16 years old now. But as long as its close that will be fine. I'll post a picture of the completed dash when it's done. Thanks again my friend

Old 07-26-2023, 01:05 PM

Thank you for your confidence and kind words.
Always glad to hear from you , and if you will, please let us know how you make out with this, thanks.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:39 PM

Hanky; Received the specially mixed paint....$30 bucks! However, it doesn't match, not even close. I called the company and described my issue about my dash needing replacement bezels and such painted. They looked up my order and told me that I ordered fabric paint and not trim paint. They said to send the paint back for a refund no questions asked. Looks like I caused the problem though by not reading the fine print. Don't know if I will send it back or not but regardless, I'm off to NAPA...as you suggested. Thanks my friend

Old 07-27-2023, 07:27 PM

Seems like we take one step forward and 2 back, pretty sure not new to us, lol.

Remember what one of our posters said a few years ago,
Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement !

Not to fear, we have every confidence in your doing a good job with this. Let us know how you make out with this project OK, thanks.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:46 PM

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement !
And how sweet it is ......love it! Not much to see from an old Hyundai but as soon as I'm done I'll post a couple of pictures. Thanks Hanky

Old 07-29-2023, 05:15 PM

A picture of my mismatched dash paint!

Old 07-29-2023, 07:42 PM

You may start a new trend with that color scheme.

Looks pretty good to me.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
You may start a new trend with that color scheme.

Looks pretty good to me.
Finding out that color is hard to match....not quite gray and not quite brown Hanky. Might be able to take a dash piece to a paint shop and have them make a small batch of paint as they do at Home Depot. More important things to worry about though. Besides the misses won't ride in the auto and the kids don't want to be seen in it so no one will see the interior....accept me! Thanks my friend.

Quick Reply: 2007 Sonata dashboard paint