Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2007 Sonata won't start....first time!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 02:32 PM
Default 2007 Sonata won't start....first time!

Gents;
Went to pick up my grandson today. Have the manual 4 cylinder model. As usual depressed the clutch to start the car. However, when I turned the key to start the AC blower came on along with the usual dash lights....so I know the battery is good. There was nothing from the starter though, not even a click. I suspect there is something going on with the clutch depress switch....much like a brake switch. Anyway, I got under the dash and immediately felt dizzy. So,before I get under the dash again in this Florida heat and have a heart attack, can any of you gents tell me what you might suspect......some kind of fuse issue maybe? Thanks my friends

Last edited by David Snyder; 08-24-2022 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:46 AM

Gents;
Hadn't heard from anybody so I looked at You Tube....where was You Tube when I was working on my 396 Chevelle back in the day. Anyway, I came upon a neat little trick which might help some of you. Although, I'm leaning towards an an issue with the clutch switch, I couldn't discount that the starter itself is bad. However, to check the starter would require me to get under the car and wrestle with getting to the wires ....would rather get yelled at by the misses than get under a car. The trick I learned from YT is to pull out the starter relay and jump the center female posts in the power box.....number 30 and 87 I believe.....Don't forget to have the car in neutral and the parking brake set. Plus to be doubly safe stand to the side of the auto when you do this. If the starter is good it will turn over when you jump the wires. I did this and low and behold the starter turned over. Thats as far as I got because it started raining and blowing so I've put things on hold for a bit. Although, I'm greatful the starter is good....it's a pain replacing it.....I now need to focus inside the car. Looking more and more like the clutch switch is the problem.

Last edited by David Snyder; 08-25-2022 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:54 AM

Hi Dave,
Can you hear/feel anything on that relay you by-passed? If you did , it could be a questionable relay which you might be able to switch another same relay in the relay panel.

If you can get the vehicle started and moved to a better location to do a little more testing , you might consider that.
As you know the best way to verify if the clutch safety sw is defective is to use a simple test light and verify power is coming into the sw when the key is on and attempting to start that power is coming out of the sw when the clutch is fully depressed.

Last edited by hanky; 08-26-2022 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:33 AM

Thanks Hanky;
I was hopeing to hear from you with good advice. Got my son to help me push the car into the garage....he complained due to taking him away from his video game. Anyway, with a paper clip in hand I got under the dash which was painful. I unplugged the clutch switch and jumped the connector (never could figure out why all connectors on all cars are slightly different from each other).......viola, the old Hundai started. I was so proud of myself that I told the misses who promptly said meh....go wash the dishes. After putting my head down.....and washing the dishes.....I ordered a new Hyundai clutch switch for less than $20 bucks shipped. Looks like I'm back in business carting the grandkids around. The only thing good about Chuck-E-Cheese is they sell beer which muffles the sound from the screamers! Thanks my friend.

Last edited by David Snyder; 08-26-2022 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:58 AM

There is just no substitute for good experience.
I never thought of using the paper clip trick.

I did think of asking the missis to go under the dash and to some checks as I would have explained, but in my case when she got done with me , I would have been dizzy for quite a while and putting ice on the bump on my head. lol. Glad to hear from you , thanks.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:25 AM

Hanky; Looks like you're in the same boat as me.....hope the bump gets better.....they don't get mello with age. You have my sympathies!

Old 08-26-2022, 11:46 AM

I realize this is a vehicle help forum, but a little humor every day goes a long way.

Pretty sure folks know we are just kidding around.

I have always bragged about my wife not wanting me to work on the wheelbarrow , never mind her car, but sometimes you need to step back and recognize when you have it good. lol

Old 08-26-2022, 12:45 PM

Hanky; Sounds like u don't have it so bad after all.....I envy you. Me, I never get any respect but at leaste the dogs and my old Hundai don't talk back. Thanks for being here for us!

Old 08-26-2022, 06:06 PM

This is a really good forum. And it is folks like you that help make it better with clearly a cool shortcut. Thank you also for helping out.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:06 PM

Last edited by David Snyder; 08-27-2022 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add comment

Quick Reply: 2007 Sonata won't start....first time!