Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata SE rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Default 2011 Sonata SE rough ride

I bought 2011 sonata SE 2 months back and im happy with everything in terms of mileage , looks (the best) so far except the ride is really shaky when it hits the bumps. The driver seat bumps like crazy even on high speed lanes in concrete highways. I have 18 inch hyper silver alloy wheels with P225/45R18 tires. Please advise on this. Is there a way to make my ride smoother. Are these tires good match for 18' ?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

It's probably the stiffer suspension and 18" wheels of the SE you are feeling. Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it? My guess is you may have prefered the Limited or GLS ride more.

Last edited by NovaResource; 08-30-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
It's probablt the stiffer suspension and 18" wheels of the SE you are feeling. Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it? My guess is you may have prefered the Limited or GLS ride more.
Perhaps Joe and I should trade then??? My GLS for his SE?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM

Well i suppose that is what i should do then. . I love every bit of this car except this stiffness. But John i should try to do some changes before i negotiate with you on GLS .

Nova is there a way to change something or these suspensions to make the ride smoother. I went for her and there is no way back. Please suggest !!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Changing the springs but that's not cheap. Going to 16" wheels and tires would help.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:40 AM
Default sonata rough ride

I just bought a 2011 gls with 65,000 miles on it. I love it, but I too have a rough ride. Quite a surprise from my "03 Toyota Camry. I did a test drive, but in 15 minutes it was just a totally different call from what I had. I have 16
wheels and tires. I'm hoping that replacing the tires and rear shocks in the fall will help the rough ride.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by lenny
I just bought a 2011 gls with 65,000 miles on it. I love it, but I too have a rough ride. Quite a surprise from my "03 Toyota Camry. I did a test drive, but in 15 minutes it was just a totally different call from what I had. I have 16
wheels and tires. I'm hoping that replacing the tires and rear shocks in the fall will help the rough ride.
Did you change the shocks yet? Are you replacing the with factory shocks or have you found any aftermarket ones. I would like to find something a little softer for my 2014 if they are available anywhere.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Default Rough ride.

I hit a pot hole denting the front and rear left rims and blowing the front tire. I take my car to Pep Boys. They fixed the steel rims without charge. They had to special order Continental Tires as my 2011 GLS uses a special size. I don't know what size it is. With four new Continental Tires, my car runs smooth. I never did replace the struts or shocks as they were not in anyway faulty. Someone riding in the back last week told me. Your car has such a smooth ride! I guess the new tires helped.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:21 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by lenny
I hit a pot hole denting the front and rear left rims and blowing the front tire. I take my car to Pep Boys. They fixed the steel rims without charge. They had to special order Continental Tires as my 2011 GLS uses a special size. I don't know what size it is. With four new Continental Tires, my car runs smooth. I never did replace the struts or shocks as they were not in anyway faulty. Someone riding in the back last week told me. Your car has such a smooth ride! I guess the new tires helped.
I bet it does ride pretty decent now. The GLS uses 16 in. wheels and 60 series tires I think. The Limited uses 17 in. with 55 series tires which ride a little stiffer. If I had my choice I would rather have 16's myself on my Limited but I just changed the tires to Michelin Primacy's and it made it ride a lot better but it would be better yet with 16 in. 60 series tires. I do like my wheels though but getting those damn Kuhmo tires off is the best thing I ever did. I can't believe they put a thing like that on a new car. It's amazing they sell as many Hyundai's and Kia's as they do after people test drive them. I had decided on the Sonata even before I test drove it and I knew Kuhmo's are rough riding and they were on our 2008 Kia Spectra and I put Michelin Defenders on it around 45,000. This 2014 Limited actually rode worse than our 2008 Kia Spectra did before we put Michelins on it. I changed them on the Sonata at 2,700 because I was starting to hate the car because of it's ride. Some people said new tires helped and others it didn't. I didn't really expect them to make that much of a difference although I hoped it would and it did and now I love everything about the car. I put a curb detector on the front a few weeks ago and am thinking about putting one behind the grille to detect whatever else is in front since the curb detector only gets what is down low. I'm not really crazy about the first thing that gets touched on the front of a car is it's paint. What was that thing that they used to have, OH yeah, A BUMPER, or at least an impact strip you could replace if it got messed up a little.

Last edited by Rabbitman; 09-01-2014 at 01:31 AM. Reason: needed to add a sentance