Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:33 AM

BiGMERF....I "had" the SE.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mommyt100
The investigation is NOT because of one complaint! There have been several. Some were minor and some were scary. The last I have read....they are investigating a batch of over 16,000 2011 sonatas with the potential defect.
Key word there.

Most of the new cars out there are having some kind of issue.
Incorrect. Most of the new cars (2011 Sonata) out there are having no issues. I don't deny that SOME 2011 Sonatas have an issue but they are the exception, not the rule.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-17-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Although you assume that I am attacking your precious sonata, I will try to explain in a way in which you may comprehend what I meant by "most of the new cars out there".

"Pick A Brand"

"most of the new cars out there" (Including but not only the 2011 sonata)....

As in Hyundai is not the only manufacturer having problems. K?

Yes...I did add (THE KEY WORD) potential when referring to the 16,000 being investigated. I am not at liberty to state that all of them have it...

Unlike "some" I will not add words to others statements in hope to deter everyone from the truth.

I can say that my car was one with a definite defect of the more than 16,000 being investigated.

Enough with the he-said, she-said crap.
I am curious to know what has happened to the people with the pulling to the left, drifting and vibrating, etc...

Anyone get their steering issues resolved yet? Everybody happy?

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Key word there.

Incorrect. Most of the new cars (2011 Sonata) out there are having no issues. I don't deny that SOME 2011 Sonatas have an issue but they are the exception, not the rule.
YOU added (2011 Sonata). I didn't state that.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-17-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Merged 3 posts
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Although you assume that I am attacking your precious sonata, I will try to explain in a way in which you may comprehend what I meant by "most of the new cars out there".

"Pick A Brand"

"most of the new cars out there" (Including but not only the 2011 sonata)....

As in Hyundai is not the only manufacturer having problems. K?

Yes...I did add (THE KEY WORD) potential when referring to the 16,000 being investigated. I am not at liberty to state that all of them have it...

Unlike "some" I will not add words to others statements in hope to deter everyone from the truth.

I can say that my car was one with a definite defect of the more than 16,000 being investigated.

Enough with the he-said, she-said crap.
I am curious to know what has happened to the people with the pulling to the left, drifting and vibrating, etc...

Anyone get their steering issues resolved yet? Everybody happy?

YOU added (2011 Sonata). I didn't state that.
Hyundai got their engineers involved with my car's problem and they got it fixed. Resolved! I am now happy with it.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:43 AM
mbm

Could just be that there are more SE owners on the site. I suspect buying the SE may mean that those owners are more interested in the handling/tuning aspects of their vehicle so come to forums such as this more than those buying the entry level or Limited model. Just a theory since I had the pulling/wandering issue as well and drive a Limited. The problem resolved when I swapped the tires front to back. My guess is it will return again once these wear into the front, so to speak. I have doubts about these Kumho tire's and almost can't wait to wear these out (which shouldn't take long judging by the looks for the fronts already at 10k).

The other steering issue I have - the rattle in the steering wheel when going over rough uneven pavement - remains but has reduced significantly with nothing being done. Dealer couldn't reproduce and "checked everything". I don't think anything is loose, but something is making noise and rattling. Going 20mph or so over train tracks reproduces it perfectly or one wheel going into a sewer cap or other such depression.

Others?

Originally Posted by BiGMERF
is tis this issue an SE only issue? that where i see most of the complaints coming from.... I really want to get an SE in November but maybe waiting for the 2012's is a better idea.. but then there will be great deals on leftover 2011's lmao..Anyone know when the 2012's hit the dealers?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 AM

The investigation is NOT because of one complaint! There have been several. Some were minor and some were scary. The last I have read....they are investigating a batch of over 16,000 2011 sonatas with the potential defect.
I assume you were replying to my post.

If you read my post again, I said the steering shaft decoupling issue was investigated based on a single complaint. Read the official NHTSA press release. NHTSA said because it is a potentially serious issue, they decided to start an investigation based on a single complaint.

I was only using that to show that NHTSA and Hyundai are NOT trying to sweep this other steering issue under the rug. NHTSA will and has acted on a single complaint on the decoupling problem, so with enough merit in the steering pulling issue (again, there are two problems related to steering and I was using one case to explain the other), NHTSA and/or Hyundai will move forward. Hyundai is aware of the pulling issue.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by mbm
Could just be that there are more SE owners on the site. I suspect buying the SE may mean that those owners are more interested in the handling/tuning aspects of their vehicle so come to forums such as this more than those buying the entry level or Limited model. Just a theory since I had the pulling/wandering issue as well and drive a Limited. The problem resolved when I swapped the tires front to back. My guess is it will return again once these wear into the front, so to speak. I have doubts about these Kumho tire's and almost can't wait to wear these out (which shouldn't take long judging by the looks for the fronts already at 10k).

The other steering issue I have - the rattle in the steering wheel when going over rough uneven pavement - remains but has reduced significantly with nothing being done. Dealer couldn't reproduce and "checked everything". I don't think anything is loose, but something is making noise and rattling. Going 20mph or so over train tracks reproduces it perfectly or one wheel going into a sewer cap or other such depression.

Others?

I thought i heard the same rattling you describe. Hmm i always thought maybe it was my tools i have in the trunk. I also have the music turned up. Im gonna try and pay more attention to this.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 AM
mbm

Originally Posted by JayZ0rbot
I thought i heard the same rattling you describe. Hmm i always thought maybe it was my tools i have in the trunk. I also have the music turned up. Im gonna try and pay more attention to this.
Just go over train tracks at around 10mph, preferably tracks running diagonal to the road. It seems to be related to uneveness in the road between the two front wheels.

I think I've also been able to replicate it while sitting still and moving the steering wheel when it's turned a certain amount, will let you all know soon.

I agree with a few others here, this should be reported since all reports are escalated to Hyundai and if there's commonality they will research.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 AM

It would seem to me that if the cars pull to one side of the other, than it may be one of the movable/flexible parts are deforming, or perhaps breaking in weird.

If it was something with brakes or traction contol, you'd smell the tires (they'd wear weird), and it would probably chatter, and have the problem from the get go.

Perhaps it's something after weight is put on the chassis. I also have a civic. When I got the car new, it tracked straight and everything was cool, handling was tight, bumps were no problem. After about 3 years, the front Lower control arm bushings started to tear. This gave the steering a looser and looser feel.

As the wheel moved up and down, the bushing would deform and the toe would deflect too much. I've since replaced those bushings with stiff Polyurethane, and it's not an issue. (It squeeks like an old mattress, but I take what I can get.)

But before you measure bump steer, replace bushings and all that, rotate the tires. Sounds simple, but see if it still tracks the same. If it doesn't the answer may be in there, or at least in part. Tire wear can tell you a lot. If you have a set of different wheels for snows, put them on and CAREFULLY take it for a test drive and see if it tracks the same.

Another thing, if anyone has the time, money and gumption, and autocross tip I was told is when you have the car aligned, put weight on the front driver seat. (I use 4 40lb bags of solar salt) This way if it is a "settling" issue, it should align it where it's use too. (Yes, the dealer/alignment shop will look at you like your crazy)

Perhaps also measure the ride height of all 4 tires. Add weight to the driver and measure again. If you have race scales, it would be interesting to measure the corner weights. (And how the weight distributes) This is crazy expensive to have a shop do, as the scales are ridiculous in price. But if someone has them...

Finally, there is no replacement for trial and error when diagnosing a problem. If you get your hands dirty, don't get over your head. As this problem sounds more annoying than life threatening.

Good luck to all.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Those of you who have concerns/issues with the steering on your 2011 Sonata may be happy to hear that Hyundai has issued a recall which includes both an inspection of the shaft U-joints and a software update to the MDPS system.

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata SE Steering Problem