Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata Uncensored

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Default 2011 Sonata Uncensored

I went to the Sonata Uncensored event yesterday in St. Pete. they had a Camry, Accord, and the Sonata to beat on. After leaving the evet, I was really impressed by the new Sonata. The new leather has a softer, higher quality feel, the new center stack with nav and backup camera is impressive. I just wish I could have got it up to freeway speed to see how it runs.

I can't wait to drive the 2.0t.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 AM

my 2011 has had transmission issues since 400 miles now in shop 6 times and still not resolved shifts rough and surge on light acceleration. now i have alignment problem and the camber on this car has no adjustment so ive been told no fix just burn tires off every 30000 and replace im going to my lawyer soon to start legal if not fixed

Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 PM

I just bought a 2011 Sonata Limited and will be monitoring this site. We are well pleased with the vehicle, although I am a little apprehensive about all the bells and whistles. Already had a problem cutting the car off. The push button shuts off the engine, but something in the gear shifter prevented the electrical power from shutting down. Dealer "fixed" it, but was a little unsure of the explanation.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by johnwad
I just bought a 2011 Sonata Limited and will be monitoring this site. We are well pleased with the vehicle, although I am a little apprehensive about all the bells and whistles. Already had a problem cutting the car off. The push button shuts off the engine, but something in the gear shifter prevented the electrical power from shutting down. Dealer "fixed" it, but was a little unsure of the explanation.
I had this problem once. The tech guy at the dealership told me that it's caused by a mechanical problem -- a lever under the gear shift doesn't catch properly (or something like that). He inspected the gearshift and told me it looked OK. It hasn't re-occurred, but I've only had the car 1 week. Just keep on bringing it back if the problem re-occurs. This is my second Hyundai, and I have to say that I've never gotten any flack about anything under warranty. The dealer replaced the horn on my Sonata without any hassles whatsoever after I had trouble getting it to sound. The new horn is much louder than the original.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by randy potteiger
my 2011 has had transmission issues since 400 miles now in shop 6 times and still not resolved shifts rough and surge on light acceleration. now i have alignment problem and the camber on this car has no adjustment so ive been told no fix just burn tires off every 30000 and replace im going to my lawyer soon to start legal if not fixed
Almost every state has a car lemon law. Did you get a lemon law disclosure when you signed all the papers and took delivery? You might be able to get a new car with six trips to the shop and no resolution. Skip the dealer and go directly to Hyundai.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 AM
mbm

Hmmm... I wonder if this happened to me and why my car battery died (see other thread).

Originally Posted by Fantine
I had this problem once. The tech guy at the dealership told me that it's caused by a mechanical problem -- a lever under the gear shift doesn't catch properly (or something like that). He inspected the gearshift and told me it looked OK. It hasn't re-occurred, but I've only had the car 1 week. Just keep on bringing it back if the problem re-occurs. This is my second Hyundai, and I have to say that I've never gotten any flack about anything under warranty. The dealer replaced the horn on my Sonata without any hassles whatsoever after I had trouble getting it to sound. The new horn is much louder than the original.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mbm
Hmmm... I wonder if this happened to me and why my car battery died (see other thread).
What other thread? You don't have any posts complaining about a dead battery. Your only other posts are complaints about the steering and mirror.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 AM
mbm

Ah, you are correct. Apologies, it was another Hyundai forum where I posted that I woke up one morning with a very dead battery.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:21 AM
mbm

I may have found the cause thanks to the suggestion of the service manager at my dealership: sometimes the shifter is in park but for whatever reason (sensor/switch) the system thinks it's not. The tranny is indeed in park, but you get the little key in the car light lighting up and the headlights stay on(!). I haven't tested it long enough to see if the battery dies (i.e., the headlights don't go off) but I have a feeling this is why my battery was fulled drained one morning.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by mbm
I may have found the cause thanks to the suggestion of the service manager at my dealership: sometimes the shifter is in park but for whatever reason (sensor/switch) the system thinks it's not. The tranny is indeed in park, but you get the little key in the car light lighting up and the headlights stay on(!). I haven't tested it long enough to see if the battery dies (i.e., the headlights don't go off) but I have a feeling this is why my battery was fulled drained one morning.
That sounds like what I experienced (just once, on the second day I owned the car). When I explained what happened the service tech, he seemed to know exactly what the issue was and said he would check it. It's a level or switch that doesn't depress all the way, apparently. It hasn't happened to me again (so far).