Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2012 Sonata 2.0 A/C Module burnt

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 07:50 PM
Default 2012 Sonata 2.0 A/C Module burnt

A/c controlmodule smoked. replaced it and it smoked again. No wires are burnt or fuses blown. Im Stumped.
Where do i start looking for the problem?

Old 09-02-2020, 10:43 AM

I would check the resistance of the compressor control valve, also the resistance of the fan control relay.
I.m not sure if it controls the blower motor? Also maybe the blend motor ? Is the module one that controls the climate control?

Old 09-07-2020, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by s-petersen
I would check the resistance of the compressor control valve, also the resistance of the fan control relay.
I.m not sure if it controls the blower motor? Also maybe the blend motor ? Is the module one that controls the climate control?

I apologize for not getting back sooner. Yes this is the CLimate control module. Facts I didnt state before. Compressor, expansion valve and dryer were replaced about 6 weeks befor the first module burnt. IS there anything there that should be checked as far as electrical connection. The one thing I dont understand is there are no fuses being blown.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:47 PM

It sounds like one of the devices connected to the module is drawing too much current, partially shorted, not bad enough to blow a fuse, but bad enough to overheat the module.
You have to measure the resistance of things like the compressor control valve, blend door motor, blower motor etc... and find which has resistance too low compared to spec.
I tried to post earlier today, but my tablet was having issues.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by s-petersen
It sounds like one of the devices connected to the module is drawing too much current, partially shorted, not bad enough to blow a fuse, but bad enough to overheat the module.
You have to measure the resistance of things like the compressor control valve, blend door motor, blower motor etc... and find which has resistance too low compared to spec.
I tried to post earlier today, but my tablet was having issues.
I dont know much about much about measuring resistace but my friend does. To measure the resistance can I put the meter on the wires in each of the connectors then use the schematic to see where that connector goes? Where would I find out what each wire should read?
I really appreciate your help.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:43 PM

You would (for instance) disconnect the wires to the AC compressor and insert your probes in the connector to the compressor and read it's resistance.the same for the other devices connected to the module. The resistance should be listed in the shop manual.
I have been looking through my service info, but can't find the resistance info in what I have. I will have to look some more, I have to get up early, and have to turn in..
I do have the pinout of the module though. You could take apart the burned module, and see what area burned to see what it controlled. Possibly the blower control mosfet?

Last edited by s-petersen; 09-07-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:15 AM

Is it burned at the 6? wire connector? There should be a fuse for the the system, if it were the wrong size it could cause the module to pop before the fuse.
A pic of the damage would help.
I found fuse info:
By driver's knee
ROOM LP (POWER CONNECTOR) 10A
Instrument Cluster, Driver/Passenger Door Lamp, Ignition Key ILL. & Door Warning Switch, BCM,
Tire Pressure Monitoring Module, A/C Control Module, Room Lamp, Front Monitor, Glove Box Lamp,
Data Link Connector, Vanity Lamp LH/RH, Auto Light & Photo Sensor, RF Receiver, Overhead Console
Lamp, Clock

A/CON 7.5A E/R Fuse & Relay Box(Blower Relay), A/C Control Module

Engine compartment:
fb A/CON 10A A/C Control Module (Auto)
RR HTD IND 10A A/C Control Module

Last edited by s-petersen; 09-08-2020 at 03:37 AM. Reason: more info