Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2016 Sonata Hybrid Limited 40-50mph vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 05:09 PM
Default 2016 Sonata Hybrid Limited 40-50mph vibration

Hi,

I have a 2016 Sonata Hybrid Limited with ~143K miles on it. It's developed a slight vibration that's most noticeable in 40-50mph range. Seems to be worse when accelerating. I've been reading about possible causes, and have been trying to check each. Today I checked the inside CV joints where the axle mates to the transmission for play. The passenger side had a bit more than the drivers side. But honestly I'm not sure how much play is too much. I hate to replace the axles if it isn't the cause of the problem. Here is the video I took of the "play" in the passenger side CV joint. I'd appreciate input from anyone with some experience with this.
Play in CV Joint

Thanks,

Gene

Old 02-05-2023, 05:35 PM

Hi Gene.
The inside (Inboard) CV joints don't usually give much trouble, but the outer ones take a beating because of the constant turning/steering.

I would suggest you look for a possible loss of a wheel weight, they sometimes do come off and create balance problems that result in speed related vibration, worth checking.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:48 PM

Thanks @hanky The outer CV joints have zero play. The tires were just about worn out, and were worn unevenly, so I had new tires installed (computer balanced), and an alignment done early this past week. It made no difference.

Best,

Gene

Old 02-06-2023, 07:27 AM

This is what I would do next.
Switch the front and rear tires on one side ,see if any difference, then do the other side and check again. It seems like a lot of work, but now we know for sure wheels and tires are NOT the cause.

By the way, when you state "worn unevenly" , please describe as best as you can because sometimes a wear pattern can point to the problem.

Which are you using when the vibration takes place ? Gas engine running or strictly electric ?

Old 02-06-2023, 06:12 PM

Attached are pictures of one of the front tires. The wear is on the inside. Both front tires looked the same.

I have the tires rotated every oil changed and this has been going on for at least one rotation. As I said, I had all 4 tires replaced last week and it didn't affect the vibration.

The vibration is when it's using the gas engine. It isn't a particularly strong vibration. It happens most often when going up a hill. I thought perhaps the engine has lost some power and it's struggling in a high gear going up a hill. But if I run it in sport mode, or even manual shift mode, and downshift, it doesn't seem to affect the vibration.

I did have it at a service station today for something unrelated. They said it has a pinhole in the outer CV boot on the passenger side with a tiny bit of grease around it.

Last edited by geenweb; 02-06-2023 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:16 AM

The tire wear in one of the photos usually comes from hi speed around corners and/or camber adjustment.
Neither of which produces a vibration.

The reason I suggest switching wheel positions, a rim problem may not show up with some balance procedures,
but the vibration will move to a different area of the vehicle,if that is the problem.
New tires on a defective rim/wheel will not correct that type problem.

A motor mount problem could also get into the picture

Old 02-08-2023, 02:09 PM

I would alos suspect warped rotors.. Also bad wheel bearing, ball joint or even bad tie rod.

Old 03-11-2023, 02:04 PM

My gas mileage has dropped from a consistent 38-39mpg to a consistent 32-33mpg. Could a transmission issue account for both sudden drop in gas mileage as well as a slight vibration on acceleration? Is there any way to "test" the transmission?

Old 03-11-2023, 04:20 PM

I do not believe there is any trans problem.

The clue of a drop in mileage should tell us there is a performance problem with the engine.
What kind of maintenance has been done to the gas engine?

Old 03-12-2023, 06:33 AM

New coil packs, new plugs, new air filter, a few cans of seafoam. The drop in gas mileage came on suddenly. After the new tires, alignment, and having the transmission fluid changed. I know that new tires can low fuel mileage a bit, but not that much. This really has me scratching my head. It was not a dealership that changed the fluid. I would have done it myself except disposing of fluid these days is a headache.

Quick Reply: 2016 Sonata Hybrid Limited 40-50mph vibration