Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2017 Sonata Front Wheel Vibration @ Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Angry 2017 Sonata Front Wheel Vibration @ Speed

I have a 2017 Sonata Limited that has had a vibration at speeds over 70 mph. The dealer swapped the tires in January 2017, KUHMO replaced the tires in September and after three sets of tires and a recent expensive tire balance I still have the vibration. The dealer has tried to correct it by balancing the tires but problem still persist. They are wait until the Region tech comes around to have them look at it. This as been a problem since I purchased the car in November 2016.

Has anyone had this problem and if so what was done to correct it.

Thanks in advance.
Ralph

Old 09-30-2017, 09:41 PM

Have you had a four wheel alignment done?
Was the suspension checked for play (lower ball joints, sway bar, etc)??

Let us know how it goes
And please tell us what it takes to fix this

Old 10-07-2017, 07:34 AM

Vehicle needs a diagnostic wheel/tire balance. So, expensive tire balance means nothing.

All 4 mounted tires need a lateral and radial runout check.

All 4 wheel/rims, without tires, need a lateral and radial runout check. Brake system/rotors/pads... need a thorough going thru.

It could be as simple as swapping rims/tires without another Sonata on the dealer lot that you test drove without the shake.

All wheel bearings, ball joints, tire rods, struts, suspension, cv joints, need a thorough inspect and troubleshoot.

And, its normal for cheap tires not to be perfectly good. So, get some michelins, pirellis, bridgestones..... and stop using the Hankook/Kumho/Nexen/Chicom/Generic/noname/storebrand discount brands...

Lemon law any vehicle that can't be fixed.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:33 AM

I have a '17 Sonata Sport, and is doing the same thing. 9 months worth of diagnosis, and the Service Manager STILL can't fix it. First it was a rotate. Then a rotate and balance. Then it was a rotate/balance/road force. Then it was a rotate/balance/road force and two tire replacement. Then they called the Field Service Engineer in, and he followed this TSB:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=189929

The two new tires WERE on the front, but after the SFE did his thing, they were put to the back, which was a "red flag". I rotated the new tires back up front, and in addition to the vibration, I now have a "radial pull" to the left. *sigh*.... I'm a retired ASE Master, and worked for Hyundai back in '10-'11. I TOLD the Manager HOW to diagnose it, but fell on deaf ears. We're NOT diagnosing TIRES... we're diagnosing a VIBRATION. A low volume, rhythmic/harmonic vibration that can be felt in the steering wheel, gas pedal and seat. Usually starts between 65-70 MPH, and the sweet spot is about 75-80 MPH. I instructed them to switch wheels with a BASE model, which has 16" wheels... different tire altogether... to see if the SAME vibration can be felt. That way, we're eliminating the 17" wheels OUT of the equation on the test drive. They failed to do so, instead, they switched wheels with another 17". They replaced the other two tires, and the new ones are on the front... vibration still there. SO... we STILL don't know for sure if it's a "characteristic" with these Kumho tires (they switched to Hankook for the '18 model), or if it's something with driveline/suspension. Oddly enough, the '18 Sonata (given to me as a loaner) has a bit of the same vibration. (I owned a '13 Optima SX, and that car was smooth as silk)

The next step is to go in with "Chassis Ears" clipped to all four hubs, transmission, motor mounts, etc... I'm about to become "that customer" nobody wants to deal with. But, they're forcing my hand... I'm about to contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs.

Last edited by S_Barnard; 02-19-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:18 AM

I have what seems to be a very similar issue on my 2017 Sonata 2.0T and it’s driving me crazy. I replaced my factory tires and now the front ones are already almost shot because of how bad they’re wearing. I had a hard enough time getting them balanced and thought that maybe it was the tires. Now I’m starting to wonder if it’s really more than that and up in the suspension somewhere. Can you tell me what ended up happening with yours and it you ended up finding a resolution?

Originally Posted by S_Barnard
I have a '17 Sonata Sport, and is doing the same thing. 9 months worth of diagnosis, and the Service Manager STILL can't fix it. First it was a rotate. Then a rotate and balance. Then it was a rotate/balance/road force. Then it was a rotate/balance/road force and two tire replacement. Then they called the Field Service Engineer in, and he followed this TSB:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=189929

The two new tires WERE on the front, but after the SFE did his thing, they were put to the back, which was a "red flag". I rotated the new tires back up front, and in addition to the vibration, I now have a "radial pull" to the left. *sigh*.... I'm a retired ASE Master, and worked for Hyundai back in '10-'11. I TOLD the Manager HOW to diagnose it, but fell on deaf ears. We're NOT diagnosing TIRES... we're diagnosing a VIBRATION. A low volume, rhythmic/harmonic vibration that can be felt in the steering wheel, gas pedal and seat. Usually starts between 65-70 MPH, and the sweet spot is about 75-80 MPH. I instructed them to switch wheels with a BASE model, which has 16" wheels... different tire altogether... to see if the SAME vibration can be felt. That way, we're eliminating the 17" wheels OUT of the equation on the test drive. They failed to do so, instead, they switched wheels with another 17". They replaced the other two tires, and the new ones are on the front... vibration still there. SO... we STILL don't know for sure if it's a "characteristic" with these Kumho tires (they switched to Hankook for the '18 model), or if it's something with driveline/suspension. Oddly enough, the '18 Sonata (given to me as a loaner) has a bit of the same vibration. (I owned a '13 Optima SX, and that car was smooth as silk)

The next step is to go in with "Chassis Ears" clipped to all four hubs, transmission, motor mounts, etc... I'm about to become "that customer" nobody wants to deal with. But, they're forcing my hand... I'm about to contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan Miller
I have what seems to be a very similar issue on my 2017 Sonata 2.0T and it’s driving me crazy. I replaced my factory tires and now the front ones are already almost shot because of how bad they’re wearing. I had a hard enough time getting them balanced and thought that maybe it was the tires. Now I’m starting to wonder if it’s really more than that and up in the suspension somewhere. Can you tell me what ended up happening with yours and it you ended up finding a resolution?
After much discussion among others, I found out there was a bad run of the Kumho tires, where there was a "hard spot" in the sidewall. Same fell true to the Hankook tires as well, but more often than the Kumho. And, it was indicative to the 17" wheels. I had Kumho tires on my '13 Optima, but they were the 16" wheels, and smooth as silk. I never got rid of the vibration on the Sonata, only reduced. I can't really answer any more, I wound up trading in my Sonata for a Kia Niro... and THAT was the best investment I've ever made... ;-)