Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2021 Hyundai Sonata Limited 1.6T Transmission Jerkiness and Lag

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 04:39 PM
Default 2021 Hyundai Sonata Limited 1.6T Transmission Jerkiness and Lag

So I recently bought a used 2021 Hyundai Sonata Limited 1.6T with about 21,000 miles on it. I don't know if any one else had experienced this, but I recently took it back to the Hyundai Service shop because after owning it a week, I felt like there was a bit of lag or jerkiness when accelerating from a zero stop or at lower speeds. To be describe the problem, it kind of feels as if the transmission isn't changing gears smoothly enough when up shifting or downshifting, specifically with the first or second gears.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but has anyone else experienced this? I can't seem to tell if this is normal behavior with the new 1.6t engine, or if this is a problem with the 8 speed automatic transmission, or if it's is just turbo lag.. but I used to have a 2013 hyundai sonata 2.0 turbo and I NEVER had this issue.

My car is still currently in the service shop and they told me that they weren't able to replicate this same problem I'm describing. Hyundai service advisors swears this is normal behavior for cars with this 8 speed transmission.. but honestly it really just feels like a potential hazard waiting to happen. I know I'm not the only one with this problem either because I have found other drivers with this problem but more with a DCT transmission or the N line models.

Has anyone figured a fix or this or has any suggestions? I just want to be able to drive this car with no worries.