Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited Front suspension issue. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 03:55 PM
Default 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited Front suspension issue. Help!

♤I tried to search specific year and issue before i started a new thread and didnt find anything. If i am wrong i appoligize in advance.♤
Now, backstory..
I bought this car (2012 Hyundai elantra limited 30k miles) near Pittsburgh,Pa (used) in 2015. When I test drove it i didn't notice clunking over holes and dips. They showed me like 1k in work that was just done to it and I was cool. They said it was a trade in. Now, this is a main dealership, not a used car place. When i got home (worse roads where I am), it was pretty hard hitting (like almost no suspension sound) while driving over bumps. Only happens on passenger side front.

I took the car back several times and the dealership was unable to replicate sound (Again, paved roads there). On 3rd visit, they kept it for 3 days(found nothing) I went back up and drove with service kid to show him but, could only mildly replicate sound randomly. Out of frustration, I just gave up. Got tired of taking days off and sitting up there forever.

Note: Though, I didn't catch on to this when I bought it, I remember service manager telling finance guy that this car couldnt get an extended warranty. Should have been a red flag. I know they knew this car had issues prior to buying it and they wanted to get away from it asap. I should have turned into for lemon law but got lazy.

Ok, Here is what I know.
1. Carfax clean no wrecks
2.I was recently told it was struts (during a diff serv station inspection)- I just replaced it with a quick strut all in one. *It didn't fix it *
3.Then, I noticed sway bar retainer on the boot came off, so, I replaced the sway bar and the sway bar bushing (I read they go bad too and cause this issue)Now, I just got done putting all that stuff back on and figured, I got it now! Nope
Test drove it again and seemed to not be as bad, but it is still loud and seriously messed up.
4.Then, i checked the wheel hub, no play or noise while suspended in the air
5.After more research, I ran out of things to check. I looked over all boots, seals, bushings and nothing else seems wrong. No rocks, branches or forgein objects lodged anywhere. I just dont understand it. Someone please help me with this I am nutting out.lol
I am passing down to my son when he graduates this year and wanna have it fixed before he gets it.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:24 PM

Did you replace the sway bar links?
Did you do the test for ball joints?
Any play in those things can give you suspension noise

Old 09-29-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Did you replace the sway bar links?
Did you do the test for ball joints?
Any play in those things can give you suspension noise

Yes, and how do i test the ball joint? I tested the hub bearing but,no play