Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Alarm on 06 Sonata not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Default Alarm on 06 Sonata not working

Hi folks...

The alarm on my wife's 06 Sonata seems to be having an issue.

Normally, pressing the lock button on the Hyundai keyfob would cause the locks to lock and the marker lights to blink once and the horn to beep once.

Now, when we press the lock button the locks DO lock amd the interior lights eventually go out, but the alarm never arms....I have confirmed this by using the key in the door to unlock it and open it...no alarm sounds.

When we press the unlock button, the lights DO blink and the locks unlock.

We have tried both FOBs.....

I have looked in the manula and on the fuse panel decals for which fuse is the right one but grow more stumped....The manual says #29 in the car is for the "burglar alarm".......on the decal on the fuse panel cover it says #29 is for "start".

I checked it anyways and it seems to be fine....

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Alarm on 06 Sonata not working

Make sure all doors, hood and trunk lidare fully closed. If the doors, hood or trunk lid are only partially closed, the alarm will not arm. My guess is the hood is popped or the switch got misaligned.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the idea....

We did go through and open and then close all the doors, trunk and hood.

When you say that the "switch got misaligned".....what switch are you referring to and where is it?

Is there a switch for the trunk and the hood?

My wife got rear ended slightly a few days back...someone drifted into her at a light...no damage to be seen aside from a scuff.....The trunk lid looks fine and isnt visually misaligned...it opens and closes normally....The trouble started a couple days after.....

Old 12-15-2007, 05:05 AM

Just as an update....

Took the car to the dealer Thursday night......They were supposed to look at this issue, do an oil change and give me an estimate for buffing out the scratches on the rear bumper from the rear-ending.....

Well, I called at 2pm Friday and they were just starting to look at the locks issue.....they had done the oil change first and didnt have the bodyshop do their estimate yet (which should take all of 5 minutes)........ :excl:

Anyways, at 4:30 (they close at 5) they called me to let me know that their tech thinks its a door lock actuator. But that they wont have the part until next Tuesday.....and because the Hyundai service contract only allows for 4 consecuitve days of a loaner car, we have to return the loaner today (Saturday) and then do the whole dance over again Monday night......<sigh>

What I dont get is that if it were an actuator not actuating, wouldn't that mean that one door wouldnt be locking/unlocking ???? We checked the doors over and over and now of them malfunctioned......I had a actuator going bad in my Durango once, but it acted up now and then and the doors would phantom -lock/unlock......this car isnt doing that either.....

Oh well...I guess this is the process....

...I am getting the feeling that they are trying this first...that they are going to swap it into each door and see if one of them fixes the issue......and when it doesnt they will look for another issue.....which will most likely mean more of these repeat trips back and forth due to the loaner car stuff.....

.I guess I am just paranoid after dealing with dealers for so many years....LOL

Old 12-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

It could be the actuator is working, but the switch that tells the computer it's locked is not functioning right.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Uh, why don't you think that the car would disarm itself when you insert the key to the vehicle and unlock it? It's your key to your damn car, why would you want the alarm to go off then?!?

HINT: That's how it's supposed to work!A key turn in the door (usually) will disarm the system. (Some cars don't do this) Try it by putting down a window, shutting the door, arming it, let it set for a minute, reach in and manually unlock it then open the door.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

If the alarm is armed (with the remote, which is the only way to arm it)the remote is required to disarm the alarm. If the alarm is armed, the car will not start. Period.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 AM

FYI

I had the exact same problem with my '03 Sonata. Left rear door wasn't locking when I pressed the fob button. I removed the actuator and took it apart (I like to tinker). Inside the unit there is the relay and a buncjh of gears that drive the locking shafts. There is also a rotary contact wheel that is attached to one of the gears. What happened was the contacts broke free of the gear and were not moving with the gears. If they are not in the proper position when the car is locked, the alarm will not set. Apparently, the actuator will not lock the door as well if they are in the wrong position. Hence, the door would unlock automatically (if I had locked it manually) but it would not lock.

I ended up taking the whole thing apart and attempted to fix the contacts. Good ol' hot glue reattached them and the thing worked great once I got it all back together. Today, unfortunately, it is not working again. The glue must not have done the trick so I will be ordering a new actuator.

In any case, if you are having this type of problem, it is the acutator assembly as it contains the circuitry for the alarm to set. It has nothing to do with your key.