Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2003 Sonata engine froze possibly

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:13 AM
Unhappy 2003 Sonata engine froze possibly

I have a 2003 Sonata 2.7 had a code for cam positioning sensor it was running bad then wouldn't fire but still cranking so i replaced the part and now the starter wont turn it over at 1st when i turned the key it wouldn't do anything then it was like the starter would just make a clunking noise like it was trying to engage but something was stopping it... that's when I tried to turn the crank manually with a wrench to see and its stuck and crank wont move... I replaced the neutral safety switch too tried 2 starters and the wires are ok battery is new checked starter relay fuse... my timing belt isn't broke I cant figure out why the motor seems to be locked up no water in the oil.. pulled 2 plugs no water... can somebody give me some clues PLEASE

Old 07-10-2017, 07:22 AM

Wow, sounds like you are jumping all over then place trying to get this engine to run.

Did you check to make sure you have engine oil?

Did you take a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) or Multi-meter
and check to see if you are getting the right voltage to the starter, when cranking?

Okay, pull all the spark plugs and try turning the engine.
Make sure you follow the correct direction of rotation.
Or use the starter. Does it move at all?

Did you check all the fuses?
Do you know how to do a relay by pass test on the starter relay?

When replacing the cam sensor, did you compare it to the old part before installing it?
Could it be the wrong part and is blocking the cam from rotating??

You seem to be smart enough to figure this out.
Just step back for a moment and think about what the next step should be.
Wish you good luck

Old 07-11-2017, 04:40 AM

thanks 4 responding AVisitor .... I could use all the help I can get... this car was a gift and has me stumped.. never had a Hyundai.. speaking of oil yes its on the full mark but it turned out its sorta gummy feeling and smells like gas.. I pulled the 3 plugs in the front bank cause I was looking for antifreeze there ok no gas or antifreeze... so now I have to pull the manifold and check the back bank so 3 more plugs and they'll all be out .... do you think if I had a bad fuel injector and it leaked into the cylinder ... and filled it up with gas or a blown head gasket ... antifreeze that the pressure would make it seem like the engine would be locked up and wouldn't turn over even by hand??

Did you take a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) or Multi-meter and check to see if you are getting the right voltage to the starter, when cranking?

No but maybe I should.... the starter sounds like the bendix pops out and trys to engage the flywheel .... but being the engine is stuck that's all I get but Im not positive .... so I will check the volts ... should it be 12 volts?

Okay, pull _all the spark plugs_ and try turning the engine. Make sure you follow the correct direction of rotation.
Or use the starter. Does it move at all?

OK Ill let you know the outcome

Did you check all the fuses?

Do you know how to do a relay by pass test on the starter relay?

FUSES... well kinda sorta all the little 1's now the starter relay fuse I didn't know how to so I swapped it from another location theirs 3 look a likes
I just looked up a video on that... using a jumper wire... ahh ok... Ill try that after I get the engine unstuck thank-you

When replacing the cam sensor, did you compare it to the old part before installing it? Could it be the wrong part and is blocking the cam from rotating??

its the same part

again thank-you AVisitor Ill let you know what happens... once I get all the plugs out... If I have water or gas in the cylinders... or If the engine will turn by hand

Old 07-14-2017, 09:40 AM
Unhappy 2003 Sonata Engine Froze need some help

ok so I popped off the manifold took out all the plugs and tried to hand turn the engine clock wise wouldn't move so i went counter clockwise and it moved 1/4 turn ....... so the engine will only move back and forth 1/4 turn

what does that tell you? can anybody help??

a broken piston rod or something??

Old 07-14-2017, 05:37 PM

I think they still used timing belts in '03
Check to see if the timing belt is okay
Maybe jumped??

Last edited by avisitor; 07-14-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Default engine wont turn by hand

well I didn't take the covers all the way off to see it at the bottom both sides on top are ok..... it didn't break...thats alot of work unless it could be missing teeth on the bottom by the crank and still look ok on top...

would teeth missing from the bottom cause this problem? engine wont move clockwise by hand any other things you can think of?

Old 07-15-2017, 10:54 PM

If one or two teeth is missing then it would still work
There is usually about four to six teeth on the belt into the gears at any one time
It just seems that something is jamming the movement
Take valve cover off and inspect for anything that could have jammed the valve movement

I am really sorry that this hasn't been solved yet.
And lately this forum seems a bit quiet for my taste

Good luck