Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

confuzing but amuzing 05 sonata

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Default confuzing but amuzing 05 sonata

Long story but here it is.
A 2005 Sonata with 68000 miles, never any problems. On the 28th i came home and parked by the gas barrels, I keep gas here and use a filtered pump and ck for any water ever week.
the day before i filled up the Sonata i removed the pump to use it to transfer a 100 gal of diesel. after i pumped the diesel, i left the pump on the back of the pick up over night, it had rained and the stand pipe had water drops all over it when i stuck it in the gas barrel, I cranked out about a gallon of diesel and gas before putting the nozzle in the fill up for the car, then i filled up the car and let it set there.
the next morning my wife started the car and let it run to warm up,the weather had went below freezing during the night. she went out to leave in about ten minutes but came in and said the car wasn't running, i went out and tried, but nothing, no fire. I put 4 bottles of dry gas in the tank and tried to start it off and on during thye day, it finaly started, but the eng wouldn't rev up, so i just let it idle for about 8 hrs to get rid of some of thye gas and to see if it would thaw out if that was the problem. the ck eng light came on eventually.
It never did clear up and would't get much higher that an idle, I took it to the local garage and they worked on it for 4 hours and even put an Air Flow Sensor on it but took it off as it did no good, they called me up and said that they done all they could.. They said they done nothing but the car runs better after just setting in their heated garage a few hrs., at least we can use it around here so long as we don't put it to the floor, I didn't think i was going to get it up to their place.
Question is, does anyone think that there could have been enough water in the hand pump to freeze up the pump in my tank and maybe a tine bit of diesel fuel still in the pump drained in my gas barrel and wound up in my Sonata and should i just take off the tank and drain it to be sure, or could it be trying to run on all that dry gas now? I would like to get it to the dealer, but they're 30 miles away and don't loan cars while working on the customers. any ideas? thanks

UPdate, as i stated before, when i left the garage the car would run ok, but not perfert if floored, this morning, the temp is below freezing again and the car will run but pops thru the end and won't open up to a quarter throttle, must be water or ice in something.pump, vacume line,filter,gas line although i doubt that as it would have went thru the eng yesterday.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Default RE: confuzing but amuzing 05 sonata

If possible, drain & refill the tank and add more dry gas and maybe an injector cleaner..

Old 12-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Default RE: confuzing but amuzing 05 sonata

it was the fuel pump, the pump that i put in was also defective.