Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Doors Won't Lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Default Doors Won't Lock

2002 Sonata, 65,000 mi and have an eletrical issus. My doors won't lock using the key fob. Also when I am in the car and manually lock, the others should lock, no go. I hear a click from behind the fuse panel like it wants to but nothing is working. The button on the door also will not lock the doors. Unlock works great, door switch and key fob. Any suggetions? How hard is it to get to the switch.

Ross

Old 03-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Default RE: Doors Won't Lock

This sounds like it could be a broken wire or a connection come adrift somewhere on the feed to the locking side of the first motor. All you can do is try to trace the wire from the fuse box to the motor and test it to see if there is any power, or see if there is a connection off. As the switch on the drivers door won't operate lock either, it is possible that the fault is between this switch and the motor. Hope this helps a little, Chris.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 PM

I'm sure this reply is too late, however I'll reply anyway.

I'm pretty certain your Door Lock Relay is bad. There are (2) door lock relays behind your fuse box. Find your fuse box (open panel, below steering wheel). Your relay box is on the other side of the fuse box. You'll have to get your head down on the floor so that you can look up inside the dash panel. There are (2) door lock relays which are located at the top left corner of the relay box. They are 1 1/2" black rectangle boxes that pull out. You'll find the following written on them (HMC DECO 95225 - 38300). This is the part #. Both relays are the same, one is for the lock & the other for unlock. If you want to test them switch them. Make sure that both are in to test since they need to be both plugged in even if one is faulty. If you switch them & now the Lock works but the unlock doesn't, you know one relay is bad.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 PM

I just bought a used 02 Sonata and had the same problems with the doors not being able to lock. I checked this forum and read about the door lock relay. Well, that was exactly the problem I had. It took no time at all to get it fixed, and now it works just fine. Thank you for posting that message, since you helped me out of a jam.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:32 PM

I have the same problem with an '02 Sonata. After reading this thread, I purchased a new door lock relay. My problem is that I can't seem to get to the old door lock relay from underneath the dash. Is there a way to removed the lower dash panel to get at the rear of the fuse panel to access the relays? I tired removing the two visible screws at the bottom of the dash panel but the panel appears to be secured at the top also and I didn't want to damage it trying to remove it. How do I get to the door lock relay in order to replace it???????????

Old 10-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Default 2004 Sonata Doors Won't Lock

After trying many solutions cleaning relays with electrical contact spray worked.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by MILLER1
I'm sure this reply is too late, however I'll reply anyway.

I'm pretty certain your Door Lock Relay is bad. There are (2) door lock relays behind your fuse box. Find your fuse box (open panel, below steering wheel). Your relay box is on the other side of the fuse box. You'll have to get your head down on the floor so that you can look up inside the dash panel. There are (2) door lock relays which are located at the top left corner of the relay box. They are 1 1/2" black rectangle boxes that pull out. You'll find the following written on them (HMC DECO 95225 - 38300). This is the part #. Both relays are the same, one is for the lock & the other for unlock. If you want to test them switch them. Make sure that both are in to test since they need to be both plugged in even if one is faulty. If you switch them & now the Lock works but the unlock doesn't, you know one relay is bad.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks for your Post. It had exactly the info that I wanted. You have saved me many hours of work, and worry.