Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

ECS light

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 04:08 PM
Default ECS light

Gents; While leaving the doctor's office today my ESC light illuminated. Not the ESC OFF light but the ESC only light...... whatever that means. So being an old man, I figured I must have inadvertently pushed the ESC dashboard switch with my knee so I pushed it in but the ESC light stayed on. I've put a lot of miles on the car, some of them in the snow belt so I know what the ESC does. When the car goes sideways on black ice, the brake pedal shudders, you can't give it any gas to pull yourself out and the ESC light flashes....what a scary annoyance! I did some reading when I got home and it leans towards a faulty brake light switch.....I don't believe it but I ordered a Hyundai switch because it was cheap but will take a few days to get here. In the meantime my question to you knowledgable gents is; have any of you had a similar problem? I know there are g force sensors, a steering wheel sensor, and wheel sensors which tell the car's computer there is a difference between where the steering wheel is positioned and where the car is actually going then the computer tries to pull the car out of this mess by pumping brakes and limiting the throttle and flashing the ESC light. I'm worried about the car going crazy with the misses next to me in traffic. I'd be on the couch for a few nights if she dropped her Dairy Queen Blizzard in her lap! Thanks gents for any help.

Last edited by David Snyder; 09-13-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:17 PM

I borrowed one of my son's scanners. It's was inexpensive ($119) but surprisingly thorough....Maxi Link ML619. It produced a bunch of codes related to the ESC. Code CL202, 208, 211 which are the left front wheel speed sensor and both rear wheel sensors....no signals from any sensor. Next, CL503 ESC switch error. Next CL616 CAN commo bus off....haven't a clue what that means...maybe a computer talking issue? Next, CL2112 valve relay error. Last, C2402 Motor electrical....the valve and motor might be something in the ABS module but I don't know. These are a lot of codes that happened all at once. How can three wheel sensors go kaput at the same time? I bet there is one underlying issue that if corrected would remedy everything at the same time.....maybe a new ESC switch? Anyway, this is why the shops with their multi thousand dollar scanners are doing well.....they take a plate of worms and turn it into a chocolate cake but it will cost me and you the big bucks!

Old 09-14-2021, 08:21 AM

I don't know at this point exactly what is going on, but when we get a series of codes, the one thing in common is the ground circuit / system for the components involved.

Maybe if you can or have the time , you might want to check all the ground connections you can see.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:36 AM

Hanky; didn’t think of a possible ground problem but that makes a lot of sense. I’ve had weird issues happen before that were ground circuit related. Might have to purchase a $20 Mitchell wiring diagram because there’s lots of wires. Of course I’ll let u know what comes of this. Thanks my friend

Old 09-16-2021, 10:43 AM

For $20 bucks I downloaded some wiring schematics from Mitchell. Lots and lots of circuits intertwined with each other. ie. the ESC switch and the dash light rheostat BOTH influence each other. What happened to the simple days of wiring a 1968 ,396 Chevelle? Anyway, I'm slowly chasing circuits and either grounding them or placing power to them. So far nothing..... thank goodness I seldom drive at night any more!

Old 09-19-2021, 05:10 PM

We'll try to stay with you and maybe offer something worthwhile, but in the meantime,

You could offer to go to the Dairy Queen yourself, ask if they deliver or get the stuff to make your own at home !

With friends like this , who needs enemies?

Old 09-19-2021, 05:36 PM

Hanky....still no ESC or dash lights. Did lots of chasing wires and grounds. So far nothing solid but I did add power to the ESC switch and some, not all, of the dash lights came on! Who knows what the problem is but I'll keep at it. In the mean time I ordered a ESC and rheostat switch. Maybe I'll get lucky. Oh yes, the misses gave r minivan to our kids to use one week and a family emergency arose so we were forced to take my old Sonata to Michigan. She complained about my trusty ride the whole way! Going to make sure my next wife likes Hyundai's! Thanks my friend.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:50 AM

Speaking from experience, lots a luck, you have my sympathy.!

At first I thought it was a bad thing when my wife wouldn't allow me to work on her wheelbarrow, but after a while I realized I had a good thing and just didn't realize it.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:35 AM

Hanky, When I met the messes 35 years ago she was subservient and looked like Susan Anton.....new she looks like Phillis Diller and hates Hyundai's. Still stay with her though due to her fantastic lazania. So glad you like me see the light....it can b lonely out there!

Old 09-21-2021, 09:41 AM

I don't want to get too far off since this is supposed to be a vehicle forum, but we all kid about this stuff and probably would do it all over again, maybe because we want that chance to get even, lol.
What if you showed your partner a picture of the most costly Hyundai that made coffee ,did the laundry, and all that stuff ? Do you think that would help sell Hyundais?

Quick Reply: ECS light