Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

EPS and Traction control light on after replacing steering coupling

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Question EPS and Traction control light on after replacing steering coupling

Hey all!,

First time poster here. My wife's car had that "awesome" steering wheel clunk that is associated with a chewed up power steering coupler. I dropped the steering column unscrewed those black bolts on the power steering motor with some t-30's got everything back together and when I started the car to basque in all my glory, the EPS and traction control light lit up and now I have no power steering and the lights won't go off. Anyone got any advice?

Old 04-10-2019, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cgroves81
Hey all!,

First time poster here. My wife's car had that "awesome" steering wheel clunk that is associated with a chewed up power steering coupler. I dropped the steering column unscrewed those black bolts on the power steering motor with some t-30's got everything back together and when I started the car to basque in all my glory, the EPS and traction control light lit up and now I have no power steering and the lights won't go off. Anyone got any advice?
I am having the same problem after replacing the steering coupler. How did you fix it?

Old 07-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Smile no power steering and tcs

Originally Posted by Shenandoah Troumbley
I am having the same problem after replacing the steering coupler. How did you fix it?
I realize that this is an old post, but I ran into this same problem today and can tell everyone that the problem I had was caused by the accidental disengagement of the motor connector on the module when dropping the steering column. After reconnecting the module, still had the same issues. The code in the module still stated that the motor was shorted or open. Once the module sees this code, It needs to be cleared with a proper scan tool.Logic tells me that this is a fail safe default .If my thought process is flawed please let me know. Maybe some of the hyundai techs will chime in.

Last edited by mark 63; 07-14-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: errors
Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Cgroves81
Hey all!,

Hello, I have ran to the same issue after replacing the coupler. Can you please tell me what have you done to fix it? It is driving me nuts

Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Hello. I ran to the same issue. What have you done to fix it please?

Old 08-19-2019, 02:48 PM
Default eps/traction lights on

To fix the problem I had to reconnect the steering motor power connector and take it to a shop to clear any codes that were stored in the module. I presume that any time the module see's a motor power fault problem, that the system automatically defaults to manual mode until the problem is corrected and the code/codes are cleared.Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:44 AM
Default Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by mark 63
To fix the problem I had to reconnect the steering motor power connector and take it to a shop to clear any codes that were stored in the module. I presume that any time the module see's a motor power fault problem, that the system automatically defaults to manual mode until the problem is corrected and the code/codes are cleared.Hope this helps.
Do you mind if I asked if you had to take it to hyundai dealer specifically and gow much did it cost you?

Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 AM

I paid 70.00 USD for their service from a local full service shop(. not a dealership)