Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

ESC in snow? experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Default ESC in snow? experiences?

Last night we had some snow (yep, first snow since October) less than an inch,it was pretty slick,(saw 3 accidents in less than one mile home) we tested our new Sonata with the ESC on on some hills...it was pretty bad. We have the regular tires still, but getting up a hill was almost like standing still.... what's the best option in snow? I think we should get snow tires,for one, but I need to learn more how to drive with this feature....should we shut it off,or is that considered dangerous?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

First, yes, snow tires would help. The best all-season tires can't come close to snow tires.

However, I would keep the ESC (that also is traction control) on. The only time you would want it off would be if you were stuck in deep snow. Learn how to be easier on the throttle when the wheels are slipping and the ESC is activating.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:13 AM
Default Snow + Hill = OFF

Assuming you know how to drive in snow, or frankly, if you live up anything approaching a real hill, yes, you will likely need to turn the ESC off. I lived in Athens, Ohio and the car would just stop moving forward halfway up the hill. The second you turn the ESC off, it goes up fine. On even small inclines, if you are turning while climbing, the ESC applies the brakes to exactly the wrong tire and causes fishtails where without I can make the turn smoothly and safely with no issue. As soon as I'm back on level or clear ground, I turn it back on. It works very well to prevent snow problems on flat straights and general use, but you show it a hill and it cannot handle it. That said, be very cautious driving with it off. I learned to drive in snow in a car without any form of driver aids, so part of the problem may be that I still drive in snow like I'm driving that car, but the ESC definitely gets confused by hills.