Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

How difficult is it to change the fuel pump on a '97?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Default How difficult is it to change the fuel pump on a '97?

I'm going to buy myself a Sonata 2.0 Monday, it runs on both LPG and regular gasoline. But according to the owner it won't run on gasoline now because the fuel pump is dead. Now I've jerry rigged a few fuel pumps in my life (I've got a black belt in 12V relays after difficult and advanced carputer and stereo automation setups), so I can deal with it if the problem is that it doesn't get power. But if it has to be changed it's kind of new territory to me. How difficult is that to change? Do I need to remove the gas tank and do a lot of other stuff to get to it, or is it as easy as later models, where you can simply remove the back seat to get to it?

Hope somebody can help me out, thanks in advance!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

The pump is in the tank and I believe it is accessed from under the car:

Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 PM

Thank you very much, sir! I really appreciate the quick answer! Does that mean that it isn't difficult to access either? I do have a jack and a stand, and I've done a lot of amateur car work before (mainly on my Chevy Suburban '95 and my Oldsmobile Starfire '78), like cylinder head gasket jobs, water pumps and stuff like that. Would you think that I can do this as well?

I have seen fuel pumps on eBay for around $60 plus shipping, and if I can do this myself it means that I have bought a lot of car for my money.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

Check to make sure the auto shutoff valve has not been tripped. Make sure there is power to the pump first.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks for that tip! Where is that valve placed? And yes, I always multimeter any part that needs power to ckeck if there's a bad connection or something else. From my stereo and carputer installations I'm an old hand with bad connections!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

Hmmm... I couldn't find the emergency fuel cutoff for your car, it might not exist.

However, I do find that your fuel pump is accessed by removing the back seat, and taking out the access panel.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

Remove the rear seat cushion.
To reduce the internal pressure of the fuel lines and hoses, first start the engine and then disconnect the electrical fuel pump connector.
Be sure to reduce the fuel pressure before disconnecting the fuel main pipe and hose otherwise fuel will spill out.

[See large image...]
Disconnect the battery cable from the negative terminal of the battery.
Remove the high pressure hose and fuel return hose.
Remove the fuel pump assembly.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jsinton
However, I do find that your fuel pump is accessed by removing the back seat, and taking out the access panel.
Are you sure you are looking at 1997 Sonata? I don't see that on HMA.

Fuel Pump:

Below vehicle, in rear of fuel tank

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-25-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned

My bad, I thought he had an Elantra.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:35 AM

jsinton, you made me wonder if I was in the wrong part of the forum, I had to check twice! But I am in the Sonata forum. And thanks for the description, I'm guessing that it works on this car also. As for reducing the pressure it hasn't been driven on gasoline for two years (after a mandatory inspection that it passed with flying colors it was put away and has only been driven every now and then on LPG to make sure nothing gets stuck), so I'm guessing that there's not much pressure left. But I will disconnect the fuel at the engine side and leave it over night, that should probably take care of anything still left in there.

NovaRescue, thanks again! A picture's even better than the drawing. It looks lie it will be rather tight to get up there, but I'll probably make it. If not I'll direct my wife, we've done that before! I'm a 220 pound guy with arms and hands to match, so sometimes stuff is too tight for me.