Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

HYUNDAI CONSUMER AFFAIRS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:00 AM
Default RE: HYUNDAI CONSUMER AFFAIRS

I too have been trying to get Hyundai to fix these problems. Please give me any information you guys might have because I can't stand this new Sonata.
[/align]The bottom isseveral messages sent to CA but mostconversations have been over the phone. They don't want anything in writing.
[/align]
[/align]email to CA:
[/align]Well it looks like I found my answer about how Hyundai's Consumer Affairs has known about these problems all along and Hyundai hasn't done anything about fixing them. Attached is another posting from someone with similarissues about noises in their Sonata. Today I borrowed a 2007 Sonata service loaner to drive while my2007 Sonata's defroster was being repaired. Before leaving the shop Iwas toldby the service manager that all noises I am hearingon my new car are normal and can't be fixed.
[/align]I asked if the gas tank can be insulated to cut down on the noise and he told meabsolutely not.The gas tank was designed that way and there was nothing that could bedone. I drove off with the used loaner and had toput $10 of gas in the tank to get the fuel gauge up near full. THE 2007 SONATA used loaner DID NOT HAVE any back end noises. I drove it around forover an hour and maybe only heardfour light sloshing noises and no crushing noises over the whole drive.
[/align]
[/align]

HYUNDAI CONSUMER AFFAIRS -

[align=center]
Hyundai Consumer Affairs has many reports on fuel sloshing and suspension noise.I have called many times.Their number is
800 633 5151.They know of the problems on the 06 Sonata and didn't fix them on the 07. Factory reps and Consumer affairs are very aware however there is no fix.
The Fuel sloshing or fuel banging is with 3/4 to 4/4 tank of fuel.
The suspension noise is at low speed in front and rear on all I4 and V6 models.The noise is like a old Chevy with bad shocks.My I4 GLS also has alot of body lean and a floaty ride at highway speed.
I have gone all the way with trying to get a fix.I suggested aftermarket Struts However they say it will void the warranty.
I guess JD Powers didn't drive a Sonata with a full tank.They were also playing the radio and couldn't hear the suspension noise.
This will be my last Hyundai I will keep it till the warranty is used up. It seems these post don't get answered often or read by Hyundai. What happened to Owner satisfaction.If they want my business they must satisfy me.
[/align][/align]

Hyundai Consumer Affairs <ConsumerAffairs@hmausa.com> wrote:

[blockquote]
[/align]
Discussion Thread

Response
02/19/2007 04:09 PM

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

We would like to review your concern regarding your new 2007 Sonata. Due to the information provided in your email we feel that a detailed phone conversation is needed.

So that we may better assist you, please call our toll-free customer service number at 1-800-633-5151, Monday through Friday from 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Pacific Time, with the following information–

1. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
2. Current mileage
3. Concern you are experiencing
4. Name and location of servicing Hyundai Dealer

Thank you for using Hyundai E-Mail Support.
[/align]Ext 54341 File number 1035735
[/align

Old 03-09-2007, 04:33 PM

Campaign T28 was a rear shock absorber recall performed by dealers for the thumping noise in rear when hitting bumps.We have a TSB on 4 cylinder sonatas for the brake noise from rear which we replace pads. Azera has a washer to put behind the axle for a snapping noise. Personally I have not seen that many noises from Sonata's or Azera's.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: GOLD07

please tell us where to find the TSB T28 or give us a copy
Just sent you an email.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: hyundai tech

Campaign T28 was a rear shock absorber recall performed by dealers for the thumping noise in rear when hitting bumps.We have a TSB on 4 cylinder sonatas for the brake noise from rear which we replace pads. Azera has a washer to put behind the axle for a snapping noise. Personally I have not seen that many noises from Sonata's or Azera's.
Hello Hyundai Tech,
Can you tell me what it might cost to have rear shocks replaced as described in T28. My dealer wouldn't do it under waranty so if I can'tfind one that will I will probably have to pay to get it done. Just trying to get an idea of how much it might be.
Thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 AM

First does your vehicle apply for the T28 campaign? If not and the noise is from the rear shocks then you might persue the matter through the proper channels.Talk to the service manager and then if you cant get anywhere with them contact consumer affairs and discuss the matter.One piece of advice be nice and not rude when discussing your concerns. I have seen it many times where a customer looses there cool and everyone shuts them out. Granted you are upset about your car making noise, remember patience and understanding that the proper channels and procedures have to be followed when performing warranty work. Ride with the service manager and let him/her here the noise you have and leave it up to them to get the vehicle fixed. I stop in the middle of my work about 5 times a week to discuss or ride with customers about concerns on there vehicle. I have had people be very nice about it and then I have had people also yell at me. I am going to find the problem quicker with those who are nice cause I can ask them certain questions about the concern and they will respond and I dont have to be on the defensive all the time. Hyundai does have a sheet that customers fill out on noise concerns that makes it much easier to diagnose. Try this before you have to pay for shocks.There is no reason you should have to pay for a warranty part.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: hyundai tech

First does your vehicle apply for the T28 campaign? If not and the noise is from the rear shocks then you might persue the matter through the proper channels.Talk to the service manager and then if you cant get anywhere with them contact consumer affairs and discuss the matter.One piece of advice be nice and not rude when discussing your concerns. I have seen it many times where a customer looses there cool and everyone shuts them out. Granted you are upset about your car making noise, remember patience and understanding that the proper channels and procedures have to be followed when performing warranty work. Ride with the service manager and let him/her here the noise you have and leave it up to them to get the vehicle fixed. I stop in the middle of my work about 5 times a week to discuss or ride with customers about concerns on there vehicle. I have had people be very nice about it and then I have had people also yell at me. I am going to find the problem quicker with those who are nice cause I can ask them certain questions about the concern and they will respond and I dont have to be on the defensive all the time. Hyundai does have a sheet that customers fill out on noise concerns that makes it much easier to diagnose. Try this before you have to pay for shocks.There is no reason you should have to pay for a warranty part.
Thanks Hyundai Tech,
Itried all those things. I went to the dealer twice. They test drove it and said the sound was normal.They said that T28 did not apply to the 06 whichis "true" since it states only 07's. I called Hyundai Consumer Affairs twice.Their first suggestion was to tryother dealers. I triedone other local dealer and got the same response.
After the first conversation with HCA Ihad to fax T28 tothem because they couldn't find it even after I gave them thenumber. It was like they were hearing about this problem for the first time.I found that hard to believe. On the second call a week later they saidthere was nothing they could do since there was no campaign for the 06 and that the TSB's were only "suggestions" to the dealer. They concluded with I can go the Arbitration route if I want. It was at that point I determined that they weren't there to help but justto weardown the customer. It seems funny that Hyundai is willing to spend more time and money arguing about it then the parts are worth and that customer satifaction isn't worth much to them.
At some point you have to cut your losses so I my plan is to buy the parts and have a local shop do the install.
Any idea what the shocks cost?
Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Default I don't get it.... Most of us shop

for the best buy we can get, cheapest, then compalin because it isn't of BMW quality. You get what you pay for tends to ring a bell here.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Default RE: I don't get it.... Most of us shop

You pay 35000 to 40000 for bmw 3series and you can still get a crappy bmw.
how about mercedez? they havelounder suspension andk-thunk as well.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:34 PM

I called my Hyundai Dealer (Huffines Hyundai in McKinney, TX (DFW Metro)) and they informed me that this was a "Full on recall last year and that the 2007 models on their lot were all treated prior to even being sold. Anyone else in other areas of the USA have this experience? If so, what were your observations after buying a car that was supposedly fixed for this problem? Did the problem continue to persist or not? For me here, I am not exactly sure on how to identify this issue yet. Perhaps may be in my case, the dealership was correct in what they said.

Additionally, for the fuel sloshing issue that most of you are noticing when the car has in excess of 3/4 of the tank full, I've tried to look for this problem in my car and have not noticed this either. I assume that I need to look out for a splashing like noise that apparently seems to eminate from the fuel tank correct?

Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited (w/. Platinum Edition Package)
Color: Ebony Black
Purchase Date: 3/13/2007
Current Mileage: 2600-2700 miles (Approx.)
URL: http://www.carspace.com/sunsonshaan07/Albums/sunsonshaan07%27s%20Album/

Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Default 2007 Sonata Banging Noise

After reading many on-line threads about Sonata suspension noise issues, I am somewhat relieved to know that the horrendous banging noise I hear isn't my mind/senses playing tricks on me.

I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata and at the 46k milegae mark, I started experiencing banging noises mostly when traveling at speeds between 30-45 mph. The noise also seems to get louder when temperatures are very cold.
I have a real tough time trying to determine if the noise is originating from the front, rear or both ends of the car--I suspect both. I thought it might have been exhaust hangers. sway bar bushings whatever.

I had brought the car into my Hyundai dealer many times since only to be told I have to wait for a factory rep to test drive the car. Good luck getting that scheduled.

I logged a complaint with the HCA and that proved useless.

They pushed me back to the dealer stating they spoke to the Service MGR and that a MFG rep needed to drive the car to make repair recommendations. I understand why-- warranty dollars, cost allocation!

Anyway, several threads talk about TSB(s) and T28. Can someone email me a copy? wkt2@earthlink.net

Thanks for any and all assistance and ideas regarding this issue.

Maybe Hyundai will read this thread as well and take some action to show they care about their customers!

Emails have gone to their Consumer Affairs Department as well.

Regards,

Last edited by wkt2; 02-19-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: add email

Quick Reply: HYUNDAI CONSUMER AFFAIRS