Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

I am Planning on purchasing Sonata - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Default I am Planning on purchasing Sonata - need advice

Greetings,
I am new to this forum and am impressed with the useful information that is shared by Hyundai owners. I am in Canada and amplanning on purchasing a used Hyundai Sonata 2006 from the dealer, however I am a little confused on something. The dealer says the car is a 2006 but when I looked at the label that is stuck on the inside of the drivers door it says Manufactured April 2005 and made in Korea. When I asked him about this he said even though it was made in 2005 it is considered a 2006 model. Now when I asked himif it still has the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty on this, he tells me it expires on August 2010. Can anyone please let me know if this is a 2005 or 2006? Also one more thing, it has about 27000Kms or 17000 miles and he is selling it to me for $14500. Do you think it is a good price?
Thanks.
Matt

Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I am Planning on purchasing Sonata - need advice

There was a major model changeover for the 2006 model year. Does this Sonata look like the ones in the showroom or like the last generation?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:43 PM

Just a follow up as to the model of the car that I plan to purchase. It is a Sonata GL -2.4L Model and looks exactly like the 2007 Sonata. I can't seem to see any differences between the car I plan on buying and the Sonata 2007.
Thanks.
Matt

Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM

Manufacturing dates do not necessarily represent model year. The model and model year can be deciphered from the car's VIN, if you know the manufacturer's VIN code. The easiest way to accomplish this is to buy a history report on the car from CarFax or a similar service that maintains records based on VINs. I think CarFax tracks Canadian vehicles, but if not, there must be similar services in Canada. The report will confirm the model year of the car and date of the first sale of the car, the date that the warrenty with the original owner actually began. Buying one of these reports also provides a wealth of other information that may help you decide to buy the vehicle (such as flood damaged and reposessed vehicles). I'm new to this forum, so Hyundai VIN codes may be listed somewhere on this site.

P.S. I tried searching the forum for "VIN codes", but found no such discussions. Carfax does operate in Canada, see attached URL. Also, loonies are presently worth more than dollars. If you are close to the border, you may find better deals on the U.S. side.

http://www.car-accident-advice.com/carfax-canada.html