Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

key stuck in ignition accessory position 2011 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Default key stuck in ignition accessory position 2011 Sonata

2011 Sonata gls with 107k miles key stuck in accessory position. I can't use security fob to lock doors. I have two keys and I can exit car and lock it manually. I can drive car.
I've tried to turn wheel and get it to click while turning key. I've tried adjusting stick shift in Park. I tried disconnecting battery.
What do you think is the cause and do you think I might be able to fix it?
Can the key lock cylinder be adjusted on this type of key? Older models with tumblers appear to be able to be substituted in new cylinder so old key can work. Not sure this can happen with my key. I have the rectangle shape with inner portion keyed. The key is not smart and I have a separate security fob.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Fix was removing gear shift **** and lubricating internal portion of **** with silicone spray. Problem was that the key ignition system was not recognizing that the gear shift was in park because the internal pole of the gear shift pole was not fully extended because of friction in the ****.

If your key get's stuck in accessory position don't panic. Put brake on. turn key just before start position. move gear shifter to neutral while pushing on brake. push button on gear shifter and use severe force to pull **** straight upward. Get teeth out of way. **** will come out with leather boot.
now push inner pole of shift pole downward and move pole to park postion.(do not let anything fall down into gear shifter or you will have massive complications)
Now you can likely move key to lock position and remove key. Get some silicone spray and spray into bottom part of **** so that the internal parts of **** are lubricated. Put gear pole back to neutral while holding brake.
push gear shift **** back on. push button and move to neutral. push button several times to work silicone into working parts so that the internal pole can extend and thus release key to lock position. good luck