Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

MPG - let's take a survey here.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Default RE: MPG - let's take a survey here.....

Nov. 13 - A new report by the Consumer Federation of America says fuel efficiency is moving the wrong way.

Using manufacturer's reported miles-per-gallon averages, the consumer group found that nine of the 13 major automakers had lower fleet milage averages in 2005 than they did in 1996. Only three actually increased and one stayed the same.

The greatest improvement was at Toyota, with an increase of one and a-half miles per gallon. The greatest decline was at Hyundai with a loss of four-point-eight miles-per-gallon.

In a survey of consumers, the federation found that people want to buy the same type of vehicle they now drive, but they want it to get better gas mileage.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:39 PM

I have a 2004 GLS (2.7L V6) with 25k miles on it. I get about 29 Highway and 25 City. But agian I don't floor it when comming out of a stop, also on the freeway I usully pick a speed around 75 and stick with it, if you keep slowing down and then accelerating it will defently lower your MPG. Also using the cruise control helps in getting higher MPG.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM

06 Sonata GLS with the sport pacakge. Total cycle driving I am getting 23.5, on the highway averaging 28-29 keeping it under 75-80 mph.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:01 PM

just traded in my '06 with 45,000 miles on it in less than one year,. My return trip from florida geve me around 30mpg at 70-75 mph.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:08 PM

Okay, so i just bought a new 07 Sonata I4 last November, I was expecting to get somewhere in the area of window sticker gas mileage (33 for hwy). 90% of my driving is on highways, usually averaging around 65-70mph....i'm lucky if i ever get 25-26 mpg on the highway. I typically have been averaging around 24mpg. I've taken it to the dealer and they say it's "operating as designed", i believe the contrary, does anyone else think that my gas mileage is a little low? By the way, i don't do jackrabbit starts, whenever i accelerate i keep my RPM's at or below 2500 unless i have to raise it to merge, but rarely does that happen.

P.S.>I'm very.....dissappointed...since my now 13 year old V6 Mazda MX-6 could get the same gas mileage (24-25 MPG)

Old 03-27-2007, 01:10 PM

Sorry for the double post, but i forgot to mention that i average driving to school 40 miles one way, everyday, and i have about 9500 miles on my car already

Old 04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Default Mine is a 2005 V6 automatic.........

We run to South Carolina from Connecticut, once a month. With AC on, running 75 on turnpike, we get 31 average, once in awhile 32.... around town around 22 mpg......Not great around town, but pretty decent on the highway. We do run Mobil 1 in it for oil and do the maintense on it as required. So far, very happy with the car. Before this we had the Elantra, still do for that matter, it got 28 mpg, and 32 on highway with Dino oil. I got the Sonata for my wife so she would leave my corvette alone....It worked......LOL........and kept alot of miles off it.......

Swampy

Old 04-28-2007, 09:50 PM

HI,
It is a bit hard to say if your mileage is substandard, since you haven't reported a strict, on the highway, calculation. I am similarly disappointed with the mileage from my 2006, LX. I wish I had made more repeatable tests on mine when it was new. I am convinced that my mileage dropped with the first oil change, which the dealer performed. Although it is the last choice on the preferred oils list, this dealer routinely uses 10W-30 Quaker State. I assumed that they would use the recommended weight, 5W-20. I have never gotten mileage as good as the original oil gave. I am now at 17K miles. What really bites is that my father's big Cadillac gets better mileage.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:11 AM

My I4 10K on it now delivers from 23 to 26 around town65 MPH trips get over 33 MPG. If i slow to 55 I get near 37 MPG according to math when filling tank . The trip computer is close give or take 10%.

JPG

Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM

With approx 1800 miles on our '07 w/ the V6, it's averaging 23 mpg. That's some highway and some city. Haven't gotten the chance to drive any real distance on the highway yet, but the wife is making a trip from here in Oklahoma to South Dakota in a few weeks. I'll report back after that. I have reset the gauge on the dash while cruising the highway at 70 and it registered 29 mpg after it settled down. But I don't trust gauges.

Quick Reply: MPG - let's take a survey here.....