Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

New 08 Sonata Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Default New 08 Sonata Owner

Thank goodness for this forum. I am a first time Hyundai owner. I just purchased a 08 Sonata GL Premium (4 Cly) and I am extremely happy with my purchase from a value standpoint. Since I have only had the car for 3 days, making any other judgements would be silly so soon. My question is oilproofing. I know with most cars it is unnecessary as the parts are already pre-treated and it is just a waste of money. However, I have onlyowned a Toyota prior to this car and I want to make sure that it is no different with Hyundai's.
If anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year & Happy Hollidays

Old 12-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New 08 Sonata Owner

ORIGINAL: Parkerman

Thank goodness for this forum. I am a first time Hyundai owner. I just purchased a 08 Sonata GL Premium (4 Cly) and I am extremely happy with my purchase from a value standpoint. Since I have only had the car for 3 days, making any other judgements would be silly so soon. My question is oilproofing. I know with most cars it is unnecessary as the parts are already pre-treated and it is just a waste of money. However, I have onlyowned a Toyota prior to this car and I want to make sure that it is no different with Hyundai's.
If anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year & Happy Hollidays
What is oilproofing?

Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 AM

They put an oilspray on the undercarriage, in the wheel wells, doors etc that is designed to help with snow, salt etc (basically rust). Some call it rustproofing.Most parts are pre-treated. I know in toyota's they offer it, but all mechanics I talked to said forget it, waste of money. I am wondeirng what Hyundai owners who have cars in cold weather do.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 AM

I live in an area that uses lots of salt on the roads in the winter. I use Krown rustproofing on my Sonata. I don't think these types of products are a waste of money especially if you intend to keep the car for a long time. If you are only going to drive it for 3 or 4 years I wouldn't bother with anything.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Parkerman

They put an oilspray on the undercarriage, in the wheel wells, doors etc that is designed to help with snow, salt etc (basically rust). Some call it rustproofing.Most parts are pre-treated. I know in toyota's they offer it, but all mechanics I talked to said forget it, waste of money. I am wondeirng what Hyundai owners who have cars in cold weather do.
Spraying oil on the bottom of the car will only attract dirt and moisture. It's a waste of money. Most "dealer added" options are a waste of money designed to make more profit for the dealer.